Blue Screen and BAD MemTest

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Hi experts
I bought my new Intel i5 with GigaByte P55-UD4 motherboard & G-Skill 2x2GB memory...
All was cool for a month or so, but suddenly I get these blue screen, and the computer restarts...

I rushed to do MemTest and found many many errors, I decided to test one 2GB stick, and it was ok, tested the other and again ok... got them both back and all ok..... (tests were 8 Hours each)

I was ok for another week or so, but than I get HardDrive (Intel RAID) errors, and again blue screens...
MemTests it again and got the errors! pulled one, and test again, and it's all ok... got it back and it's all ok again...

It's weird but when I remove and reinstall the memory it's all working for a while...

What am I missing?
What Other tests can I do? Giving it back to the store will show no errors :D

please... please... help

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Intel i5, GigaByte GA-P55-UD4P, G.Skill Trident 4GB

The problem is weird because it'll start again in a week or so, and the computer will work just fine.. till suddenly start these crushes and MemTest errors...

I don't know, maybe it's this 1600Mhz/1333Mhz memory/mobo thing... the board doesn't support 1600Mhz and the memory is 1600Mhz, so it's down to 1333Mhz automatically...

That RAM should run just fine on that motherboard at its rated specs if you manually set them in the BIOS. The RAM is rated at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-21 timings at 1.6v. You should manually set those values in the BIOS and then run Memtest86+ overnight.

The motherboard owners manual will tell you how to do it. Pages 43 - 45 will be of interest to you. As with all Gigabyte motherboards, be sure to press Ctrl + F1 when you first enter the BIOS to unlock everything.

You have to do more than just change the speed. You should also manually enter the timings and voltage.

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
voltage/speed/ and time are more like quantum physics to me... (Still learning)
Is there something to help me be sure that I do the right thing... I don't want to mess things up, just to make it work...

It's all on page 43-44 of the manual for your motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=19824

Looks like you go into a heading called "Intelligent Tweaker", then "Advanced Memory Settings" ... then from that menu, enable "Extreme Memory Profile" (looks like you have to choose "Profile1 or "Profile2", which one you choose shouldn't matter), and that will unlock the voltage settings.

Then go down to "Profile DDR Voltage" and set it to 1.6V manually.

Below that, there are options to set the timings manually, but if you're not comfortable with doing it, you may not need to mess with them just yet. A lot of motherboards will auto-detect the timing just fine even if you have the voltage set manually ... so it's up to you whether you want to leave it alone and hope you can get away with it, or just adjust the timings now to be certain.

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Back again with some more information...
Before I tried your memory speed thing I played a game today (company of heroes) which is probably stressing my computer a bit... and got that blue screen...

I thought that it's a good time to change the memory speed to 1600Mhz. I did just as you said (the mobo found that it memory is 1600 automatically), and I wanted to run a short MemTest before I continue...

While in the MemTest (1Min. or so) the computer just turned off, I turned it on to get it back to 1333Mhz. and on the boot it got turned off.... I turned it on back again, and after few sec. it turned off again!
the time was shorter and shorter....

I knew that I have to pull one memory stick out and it will work, and it did... I pulled one out and got to the BIOS turned it back to 1333, and turn it off to put that stick back inside...

I run a short MemTest with the 1333 and it was ok... got it back to 1600 to see if this is the problem, and it was ok, so I tried to run windows, and it gave me this turn-off thing again... so I did a after back to 1333...

Windows is now running... (As I'm typing things can go wrong :??: )

Please help me solve this Issue, I can't handle it without you guys!
please please....

Ideas, anything!

THANKS THANKS!

Like I said above, you have to do more than just up the RAM speed. You also have to set the timings and voltage or the RAM will not be stable. The same pages in the motherboard owners manual tell you how to change the timings and voltage.

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
When I changed the profile to "profile1" it found automatically that the speed is 1600, but I couldn't change the voltage... it's disabled...

There are some Channel A and Channel B timing setting, but there are soo many weird things there, I didn't see any voltage there...

Where can I change the voltage? I know that my memory is 1.65v (It's written on it)

Are you first changing to "Profile 1" and THEN going down to "Profile DDR Voltage" and switching it from "auto" to "manual" (or whatever the other option is)? Or will it not even let you do that?

In any case, you're on the right screen; if it's not working, try re-reading htat part of the manual. The instructions are in there.

I wouldn't mess with the profiles. Just manually set all the values. Set the profile to disabled and manually set the "System Memory Multiplier" to a value that puts the RAM at 1600MHz. You should then be able to set "DRAM Timing Selectable" to manual and manually set the RAM voltage and timings. The timings are the first four values in the "Channel A Timing Settings". The timings should be set to 8-8-8-21.

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

When I set the profile to "disabled" the highest multiplier (10) is putting the memory speed to 1333Mhz... When I change the profile to "profile1" the multiplier 10 will show 1600Mhz...

yea I know it's weird

maltenp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
You have to increase your FSB to be able to reach 1600mhz.(from 133 to 160)
Also, when you set default timings and voltages I recommend you put the voltages 0.02-0.05v above default to get better stability.

If you change FSB it will effect your CPU clockspeed aswell.

Before screwing with the FSB, see if running at the 1333MHz speed actually works. If 1333 fails, so will 1600.

This is sounding a bit like RAM not getting enough Voltage...I don't know how safe it is to Overvolt DDR3 1.65V RAM though...(my old 1.8V DDR3 modules are running at 2.1V, for stability reasons)

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
after some experiments Of 1600/1333 Mhz I got to a point where putting on stick of 2Gb in slot 1 will not turn the computer on...
I guess that this where I say THANK YOU ALL, and I'm going to the store and let them check all my components... they said that they will check it for two days, and replace it if it's malfunctioning... My guess is that it's the MOBO is f**ed up. will let you know.

And thanks for your time and effort