Sign in with
Your question

How do you know if a card will fit in a "slim" form desktop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 27, 2009 8:56:57 PM

I'm currently using an 8800 GT but I want to order a new computer.

Is there a way of finding out if the 8800 will fit in one of the slim towers? Like what dimensions would it need to be?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2009 9:11:02 PM

You would have to check the space available on each individual case. There is no all inclusive specification that said video card would universally fit all slim tower cases. A TT case would be a different design than say an Antec slim case. For example, a 3870 (or 8800gt) will fit in this small micro case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 28, 2009 4:36:41 AM

Why do you want a slim tower, anyway? you're going to be crimping your style later on. go mid-size
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 7:27:26 AM

Please provide a link or at least the make and model of one of the cases you would call "slim tower".

The 8800GT certainly sits inside the confines of mATX and ATX mobos, so its length is not a problem. As for height . . . it will NOT fit in any case requiring half-height cards.
a c 363 U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 7:50:30 AM

These video cards are generally know as "low profile". Currently the most powerful "low profile" video card that I know of is the GeForce 9800GT. Many cards come with both "full height" and "low profile" brackets.

Example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 3:49:40 PM

i'm kinda wondering about a 4870 fitting in my case too. Twoboxer said that a 8800gt sits inside the confines of mATX and atx mobos, but couldn't a mobo block the card even if there is enough space in the case. my northbridge heatsink might block a dual slot cooler, could that happen??
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 9:20:12 PM

It's not likely, I've never seen it, but I suppose a stupid design even for as important a part as the primary PCIe slot is theoretically possible.

If you're worried your mobo choice is the exception, look at a picture like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2009 12:52:38 PM

well what makes me worried is that this mobo was originally from a compaq computer. And they're not very upgrade friendly, which is why i'm worried about the dual-slot cooler design. I guess worst case scenario is that i have to buy a new northbridge heat sink that's shorter?
June 29, 2009 8:08:42 PM

I have been wondering this as well as I recently purchased a Dell Studio XPS Mini-Tower version that comes with a stock Radeon HD3450...I haven't been able to find a straight answer on whether or not all "low-profile" labeled cards will fit inside this Mini-Tower layout...any thoughts?
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2009 9:23:30 PM

they should as long as they're not too long
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 29, 2009 9:28:06 PM

ManicPanic said:
I have been wondering this as well as I recently purchased a Dell Studio XPS Mini-Tower version that comes with a stock Radeon HD3450...I haven't been able to find a straight answer on whether or not all "low-profile" labeled cards will fit inside this Mini-Tower layout...any thoughts?

the length or width is not the issue but rather the height. Most low profile cards go dual slot when the bracket is attached. Just make sure you have an empty slot for room.
!