Matching Ram to Mobo

fish_86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
After reading the AMD Black OCing Guide I have a question if anyone would so kindly help answer. The guide mentions getting a good match of RAM for you Mobo. I currently have the Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5. I know Gigabyte's site has recommended RAM. Is this what I should use to figure out the best RAM for overclocking? I tend to have a problem fining the exact model of ram when I try and cross reference.

Before reading the guide I was going to get G-skills 1600mhz running with a cas 7 latency. 2x4Gbs. Is this good for OCing or should I be looking at something different?

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I hear amd benefits more from tighter timings than higher speeds. That beings said staying at 7cas should be more beneficial. B.E. means that you will not hit a speed ceiling due to the motherboard if you only adjust the multiplier.

I always felt that high memory speeds were not for overclocking the ram, but to allow the cpu to reach its highest clock without being limited by ram.

AMD ram speeds I hear are maxed at 1800 by the processor.

Unless you want to go 1800, then 1600 at 7cas should be the fastest
I hear gskill has 1.35v ram at the same specs

fish_86

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I always felt that high memory speeds were not for overclocking the ram, but to allow the cpu to reach its highest clock without being limited by ram.

I thought I heard the same thing. It not that i'm trying to OC the ram but reep the benefits of better OCing with better ram. I just need to make sure that the ram that i'm getting is going to work well with the Mobo. I think i'm still set on the Gskill 1600 cas7.

If anyone feels different please post. I'm curious.