Why does Noctua make their fans so ugly?

maxmax18max

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
They are obviously a very serious, high-end cooling component manufacturer, but WHY do they need to make their fans so ugly. many people don't have case windows, but then again, many people do.

have you ever seen anyone with a wood themed computer? chocolate? I didn't think so

Do they have any reason behind all of this? I hear awesome things about their coolers and fans, but it is the color that scares me away (and i don't want to go to the trouble of painting it)

Thanks

btw, i meant no offense to any Noctua fans (pun unintended)

maxmax18max

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

I didn't mean it that way.

I meant that theirs fans are very nice, but there are also other comparable companies out there that have similarly specced fans and look better in the case. If they were one-of-a-kind, i wouldn't care what they looked like

Qraider

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I just got my NH-U14S the other day. It was my first cooler/heatsink ever to buy and yes, when I looked at the pictures I thought like you. But benchmarks don't lie, so I went for it. I tell you... The moment I opened that box and that huge ugly fan was staring right through my soul, I was in love. There is really something special about a fan which appearence is so different from others. And I can't wait to see people's reaction when they go like "Duh, that's ugly as hell. It looks like something that was made pre world war. It probably generates more heat than it cools LOL!", and when they see that beast in action they are blown away. And I mean literally... like SWOOSH.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

That defeats the purpose of the cooler though, CM's got a better heatsink, Noctua's only advantage is quieter fans.

I think that's how they designwd it to be, I mean, a fan that's brown but still people buy it? That just shows how good they are, phanteks make goodblooking ones but they are always behind noctua, it's like a really bad looking car, but it's the fastest car you can get, so the designers want to keep its iconic colour scheme and to tell people that they don't need good looks for people to buy them

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

My wife would never let me buy that, but honestely, I'll stick with the hyper 212, or corsair fans. They look great and performance is good. In this day and age it shouldn't be a comprimise. But then again I guess some people like when people look at thier parts and say "Hey you got a (blank), cool", but no one ever says wow that looks neat. Unless they are being sarcastic. They could go white and black, I'm sure no one would mind that.