MrFroho

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi, I'm new to these forums and new to building a computer itself. I have recently just bought a new computer which will be arriving tomorrow and I got an i7 960

Details: CPU: Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960
Link

Putting it on a EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366 Intel Mobo. Link

What I want to ask is basically how do I know what kind of Heatsink matches with my CPU? When looking for a Heatsink, what specs MUST match up in order for it to work. And if someone can link me a good but easy to install heatsink for my new computer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

The cooler depends of your budget, so, what's your budget? I can suggest you the Hyper 212+ for ~$30 that gives you good temps for a lower price, or go with high end coolers like Thermalright Silver Arrow or Noctua NH-D14 for ~$89 that gives you much better temps that Hyper 212+, but you need a good case to fit the last two inside.

Some mid end cooler that can do a good job are the Thermalright Archo or Venomous X.

Regarding your question, you mobo and CPU are socket 1366, so, you need look for a cooler that meets that specification. Almost all cooler in the market are universal, that means that works for Intel and AMD and the latest socket like yours.

MrFroho

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hi Saint19, thank you very much for the speedy response!

Ok so my budget is lets say ~50, and my key requirements are ease of installation (preferably has thermal paste already attached) as well as being quiet yet powerful.

The ones Ive watched videos on were stock i7 ones where u just push the 4 buttons and it locks in which seemed very simple, but I dont know if they were any good.

And heres my tower if that helps you see how much space I have, I'm not sure.

Thank you very much for your help thus far :)

EDIT: I should also mention that this is only for overclocking my i7 960 from 3.2GHz to 4.0GHz, which from what I understand isn't such a big leap, so perhaps I dont need something that amazingly powerful. Saving money is always a plus :)

The Titan Fenrir can give you good temps for your budget:

1- http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10058/cpu-ttn-04/Titan_Fenrir_Universal_CPU_Cooler_-_Limited_Edition_Red_TTC-NK85TZCS_RB_-_Socket_775_1156_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_940_939_754_K8_.html
2- http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334422

None of those coolers comes with the TIM pre-applied, you need do it your self. The reason for remove the components out of the case is because all those cooler comes with a backplate for support the cooler's weight, so, you need remove it for install any decent cooler that you get.

MrFroho

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Thank you both for fast responses. I'm going to look at video tutorials for both of them to see how to connect them later.

But I do have a question, Kawee the Scythe SCRT-1000 you directed me to looked nice but then I saw quite a few reviews claiming that it was huge. I'm just a bit worried whether it would fit in my mid tower, since someone did claim it should only go in Full towers. leme know what you guys think. and thank you :)

SAINT19 has mentioned some very good units.
The CM212+ = best budget/performance
For more performance i would look at the Prolimatech Megahalems or the Thermalright
Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C.
The two aformentioned units require you to select a fan.