Sign in with
Your question

MB/CPU/RAM on a budget

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2009 4:36:39 PM

I've been doing a lot of research since I last built a system, since then I've gotten overwhelmed with all the information that is out there as far as Motherboard/CPU/RAM compatibilities, RAM Speeds, CPU Support, etc.
My inquiry though, is if any combination of these would in fact be compatible, stable, and would allow for future upgrades.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6Ghz 65W AM2 socket

MB- ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790Fx AM2/AM2+ or ASUS Crosshair II Formula nvidia 780a AM2/AM2+

RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB (Either DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066)

I know that the processor I'm wanting to use is relatively out of date, but I'm on somewhat of a budget right now, and my biggest issue is the compatibility. Either way, all of this would be an upgrade (as im still using a 939 socket). If I could have either a little guidance on which of these would work, or if someone could point me in the right direction, i would be very appreciative.

More about : cpu ram budget

June 9, 2009 4:44:16 PM

In addition to my above post:

I don't plan to overclock
I don't plan to run SLI (one Nvidia GTX280)
Related resources
June 9, 2009 6:55:59 PM

The motherboard is something I'm not too concerned with price on.....because its the one thing i dont want to have to upgrade for a long time. thats why im settling for a lower processor for now, because eventually, id like to work up to the Phenom II X4 940. Basically, i dont mind getting lower-end RAM or a low-end processor for now, as long as the motherboard can take bigger and better stuff later on.
a b à CPUs
June 9, 2009 7:24:45 PM

I'd go with IH8Us set up. If you're not planning to go with crossfire or SLI then the 790FX mobo is a waste. If you may eventually want crossfire, then go with a 790X or 790GX board. The difference in price between the 790FX board and a 790X board would bump your CPU from a x2 5200 to a PhenomII x3 720 just about.
!