sdiver3171

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I've been doing a lot of research since I last built a system, since then I've gotten overwhelmed with all the information that is out there as far as Motherboard/CPU/RAM compatibilities, RAM Speeds, CPU Support, etc.
My inquiry though, is if any combination of these would in fact be compatible, stable, and would allow for future upgrades.

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6Ghz 65W AM2 socket

MB- ASUS M4A79 Deluxe 790Fx AM2/AM2+ or ASUS Crosshair II Formula nvidia 780a AM2/AM2+

RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB (Either DDR2 800 or DDR2 1066)

I know that the processor I'm wanting to use is relatively out of date, but I'm on somewhat of a budget right now, and my biggest issue is the compatibility. Either way, all of this would be an upgrade (as im still using a 939 socket). If I could have either a little guidance on which of these would work, or if someone could point me in the right direction, i would be very appreciative.

sdiver3171

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The motherboard is something I'm not too concerned with price on.....because its the one thing i dont want to have to upgrade for a long time. thats why im settling for a lower processor for now, because eventually, id like to work up to the Phenom II X4 940. Basically, i dont mind getting lower-end RAM or a low-end processor for now, as long as the motherboard can take bigger and better stuff later on.

I'd go with IH8Us set up. If you're not planning to go with crossfire or SLI then the 790FX mobo is a waste. If you may eventually want crossfire, then go with a 790X or 790GX board. The difference in price between the 790FX board and a 790X board would bump your CPU from a x2 5200 to a PhenomII x3 720 just about.