Unable to Delete Folder

June 26, 2004 12:04:11 PM

Hi. A program I installed and has since removed from my system created a
folder that XP
refuses to delete saying the folder is being used by someone else or by
another program.
I could reboot and I'm sure I will be able to delete this folder but I
really want to know
who the culprit is. Is there any way top find out what program might be
using this folder????
This folder's properties indicate it is not a system or hidden folder.

Any help will be appreciated, I'm very curious.

Thanks,
James

More about : unable delete folder

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 5:28:19 PM

James, look in C:\Program Files for the program that you removed. You
should be able to delete it. If
not check here.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select D and
scroll to Delete.
"JamesJ" <jjy@adellphia.net> wrote in message
> Hi. A program I installed and has since removed from my system created a
> folder that XP
> refuses to delete saying the folder is being used by someone else or by
> another program.
> I could reboot and I'm sure I will be able to delete this folder but I
> really want to know
> who the culprit is. Is there any way top find out what program might be
> using this folder????
> This folder's properties indicate it is not a system or hidden folder.
>
> Any help will be appreciated, I'm very curious.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:45:36 PM

Try to stop explorer.exe in processes list in task manager, then try to
delete your folder from command prompt or any file manager (such as volcov
commander, norton commander, far manager or other), then start explorer.exe
June 28, 2004 8:48:09 PM

Use oh.exe from the windows 2003 resource kit tools http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

Type
oh +otl
reboot
then
oh /t file <filename>
or leave filename blank to see all.

EG to see what program has inbox.dbx open (OE's inbox file)

oh /t file inbox.dbx
which returns

//
// TIME: 2004-03-30 19:50
// MACHINE: SERENITY
// BUILD: 2600
// OH version: built by: dnsrv_dev(v-smgum)
//
//
00000CF0 msimn.exe File 050c \Documents and Settings\David Candy\
Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E6E1A8F2-C885-46A5-975E-94A4A1F8C788
}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

[Microsoft Internet Mail And News (MSIMN.EXE) is the real name of Outlook Express rather than the marketing name. Office's Outlook internet features is a copy of Outlook Express. OL stole OE's code while OE got OL's name.]

http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
"JamesJ" <jjy@adellphia.net> wrote in message news:%233xFyW3WEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi. A program I installed and has since removed from my system created a
> folder that XP
> refuses to delete saying the folder is being used by someone else or by
> another program.
> I could reboot and I'm sure I will be able to delete this folder but I
> really want to know
> who the culprit is. Is there any way top find out what program might be
> using this folder????
> This folder's properties indicate it is not a system or hidden folder.
>
> Any help will be appreciated, I'm very curious.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Anonymous
June 29, 2004 5:06:43 PM

David,
I am interested to use such a process but I see that it is intended to run
in Windows Server 2003. Will it run in Windows Xp Home without problems?
Derek

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
Use oh.exe from the windows 2003 resource kit tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
790cffd&displaylang=en

Type
oh +otl
reboot
then
oh /t file <filename>
or leave filename blank to see all.

EG to see what program has inbox.dbx open (OE's inbox file)

oh /t file inbox.dbx
which returns

//
// TIME: 2004-03-30 19:50
// MACHINE: SERENITY
// BUILD: 2600
// OH version: built by: dnsrv_dev(v-smgum)
//
//
00000CF0 msimn.exe File 050c \Documents and Settings\David
Candy\
Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{E6E1A8F2-C885-46A5-975E-94A4A1F8C788
}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

[Microsoft Internet Mail And News (MSIMN.EXE) is the real name of Outlook
Express rather than the marketing name. Office's Outlook internet features
is a copy of Outlook Express. OL stole OE's code while OE got OL's name.]

http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
"JamesJ" <jjy@adellphia.net> wrote in message
> Hi. A program I installed and has since removed from my system created a
> folder that XP
> refuses to delete saying the folder is being used by someone else or by
> another program.
> I could reboot and I'm sure I will be able to delete this folder but I
> really want to know
> who the culprit is. Is there any way top find out what program might be
> using this folder????
> This folder's properties indicate it is not a system or hidden folder.
>
> Any help will be appreciated, I'm very curious.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Anonymous
June 30, 2004 1:14:50 AM

Yes. Server and XP were the same product till just before release of XP as MS had to boot their revenue for that financial year so put all into the base features. Server is just another version like home/pro.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

!