rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Last night I finally put together my first system and from reading about how core temp can fry your cpu I am a little paranoid.

speedfan has my cpu at 42C when idle.

I did a load test using burnintest and with all 4 cores at 75% it would go up to 50C and the max it would reach was 51C.

Are these temps okay? I am worried I might have messed up with the arctic silver 5 and heatsink or something.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I think the max suggested temp for a 955 is 55C, but I'm not sure.

It sounds safe. I have a 720BE x4 running, and 4 cores@100% it maxes out at 42C I think @3.4GHz OC.

But, I keep my house fairly cool in the evenings to guarantee the best cooling possible.

All really depends. What's the temp about in your house? That can vary it.

51C doesn't sound horrible to me, but it sounds maybe a bit hot. But, others would be better at telling you.

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
i am starting to think it is way too high.

I have an OCZ vendetta 92mm heatsink and fan. The case is an Antec 300 with the two exhaust fans. I also have a 120mm intake fan.

I have read that after around 3 weeks the arctic silver 5 will cure and temps will drop up to 10C.

I really hope this is the case

Not quite, I have seen the 955 hit 68c and it did not shut down. AMD says that 62c should be the max temp but I have seen many go over that without any issues. As long as you don't overvolt and you keep you temps low you are fine...

Just make sure that your CPU does not go over 58c just to give you some headroom and lifespan.

42c idle is fine but it should be lower unless your ambient temp is over 30c....

rudeboyransom

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

I don't think it was that hot in my room. I know living in South Texas it can get up there but 30C is 86F and I would have turned the AC on.

I am thinking that I just need to let the AS5 heat up more and spread out and I will see temps lower.

Yea but your idle temps at stock clocks should be in the 30's and not 40's...

For example I have a 550 (dual core) that reaches 53c at 4.0Ghz (load) on air using an AC Freezer 64 (ambient 28c) Now, at stock clocks my CPU will run at 33c idle/ 43c load with the same ambient temp....Your CPU will run a tad warmer due to being an x4, so in all your temps should be around 37c idle/48c load (stock), of course these temps differ and you have to take into account you cable management, fan speed, ambient temp etc.....