New mem system wont boot.

akshaybona

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I was at my parents place this weekend and was upgrading my old pc to run windows 7.
here is the config.[nothing great but enuf for checking emails and printing stuff]

Mobo: 7vm400m-rz (Gigabyte)..........link for the board details...http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1764

Cpu: Amd Athlon XP 2000+
Ram: Kingston ddr-266 256mb , Kingston ddr-400 1gb(new)
Agp: My first graphic card FX 5200 128mb
PSU:300W

i did a complete reformat and installed win 7
the computer worked fine no problems absolutely.I even ram memory test from a usb to check the new module its fine.
Now i removed the 256mb module (ddr-266).....was gonna replace it with 1 more gb of ddr-400 next weekend.
the thing is with 1 gb of memory inside as soon as i power on the pc it start making weird sounds while in bios
The IDE detection slows down considerably and then hangs at the dmi update page....the bios fails to move to the Os part. And during all this tiem i get this weird clicking sound continuously.
Could any 1 help me solve this and make my system stable.
Thx

Solution
Put the 256 MB back and go into BIOS and increase the RAM voltage to 2.6v. Also relax the RAM timing to 3CAS. The MB chipset does not support DDR400 speed, but the 1GB DDR400 DIMM will default to DDR 333 if properly volted with 3 CAS latency. As far as the noise, sounds like the PSU may be in question with the upgrade. Have you checked device manager to see if all system drivers are supported with Win 7 installed?

Clear up the MB link.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1764

Put the 256 MB back and go into BIOS and increase the RAM voltage to 2.6v. Also relax the RAM timing to 3CAS. The MB chipset does not support DDR400 speed, but the 1GB DDR400 DIMM will default to DDR 333 if properly volted with 3 CAS latency. As far as the noise, sounds like the PSU may be in question with the upgrade. Have you checked device manager to see if all system drivers are supported with Win 7 installed?

Clear up the MB link.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1764

Solution
Enter BIOS and find RAM adjustments. For PC3200 400MHz. manually set the RAM voltage to 2.6v. Also, set the CAS latency to 3 for Kingston value RAM. Instructions for BIOS should be in the MB online manual available for download from ther site listed.

PC3200 400 MHz. requires more voltage than PC2100 266Mhz. Kingston PC3200 value RAM is 3 CAS. AS far as noise, look to the PSU or a CPU/case fan. Try using a paper towel insert next to your ear and placing it down into the case to find the noise. Or try carefully stopping any case fan momentarily with your finger and see if the noise stops.

akshaybona

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
ahh i foind the culprit for the sound its the onboard speaker of the mb warning me that the settings were wrong i increased the volatage from ddefault 2.5 to 2.6v
it worked perfectly thx a million.