trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I currently have 2 HDD in RAID 1 setup. I'm about to undergo a system upgrade. New Mobo, etc.

How would I go about removing them from a RAID 1 into 2 seperate HDD so that I can keep one as a backup, install the other into the new system, and do a fresh install of Windows, move all my data that I want/need to save, then put them back into RAID 1?

Is that even possible?

in case this is required:
mobo is 0RY206

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Your best bet is to clone the raid 1 drive to a signal drive (Making sure you uninstall the mother board drives before doing so) setup the new board with a raid 1 drive and clone back from the clone drive.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I'm honestly not looking to keep raid 1, at least not for now. Would rather have the space for more storage. 500GB doesn't seem to last long.

I just want to be able to install Win 7 fresh on one of the drives, then copy over my data. I currently don't have a backup as, RAID 1 was my back up. (Yes, yes, I know, RAID is for redundancy not back up)

EDIT:
I know I said I was going to rebuild it, but I can't afford another drive (at least not yet) and just need the extra space.