Overclocked settings not sticking, reverting to default on reboot.

Caall99

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
This is my first overclocking endeavor. So far i am hooked, but also thoroughly confused...

Current system is:

E6550 Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz (G0 stepping)
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Corsair XMS2 DDR 800 (2x1Gb)
Radeon 4850

Initially I brought the clock from 7 x 333MHz to 7 x 400MHz, locked the PCI-e clock at 100Mhz, and left pretty much everything else on "AUTO" or "NORMAL". I was able to boot into windows at 2.8GHz, and run prime95 completely stable for 2 hours. During this time my vcore was reading around 1.4V+ in CPU-Z, and my temps in prime95 went to 53C under load. Not too shabby... but little did I know, that my vcore was unnecessarily high!

Either way, I was content with my first go at overclocking. I decided to reboot the computer... and low and behold, CPU-Z indicated i was back at stock settings!!! Ugh...

On my second time around I hit the books (i.e. forums) twice as hard to smarten up. I went ahead and tried for 3.0GHz.
This time my settings were as follows:
7 x 429MHz (Resulting ram @ 858Mhz)
CPU voltage manually set at 1.29V
DDR2 overvoltage @ +0.1V
MCH overvoltage @ +0.1V
Manually set ram timings to manufacture specs: 5 5 5 18

I had a good feeling about this one... I ended up in windows at 3.0GHz completely stable, and no more than 44C under full prime95 load!! (using rocketfish aftermarket cpu HSF) After 3 hours of prime95 and heavy gaming there were no issues to report. Unfortunately, when I rebooted, all my settings were gone again... back to lame 2.33GHz.. lol.

I tried once more, this time using Gigabytes EasyTune application. I set the same 3.0GHz overclock settings, and it rebooted my system for me. Except this time, it immediately reverted to default, and there was no "beep" on startup, indicating that the CPU POST'ed correctly.

Help guys...

Caall99

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
would you still say its dead if i told you...

1. that my system date and time aren't changing, or resetting?

2. that after the first time i enter the overclock settings into my bios, press F10 to save, and the computer reboots, i am able to run at the modified clock speeds in windows. Its only after the next reboot (after seeing the overclocked speeds in CPU-Z) that my bios seems to partially reset my settings to default/auto.

could there be another setting in the bios that i need to tweak? any gigabyte 965p ds3 owners with intel e6550 wanna chime in on their overclocking experiences? i am VERY new to this.

thanks

Try downloading and flashing your BIOS to the newest version.Maybe this problem is part of an old BIOS glitch.Don't take it light heartedly,flashing the BIOS is serious buisness if you don't get the right revision or version you will cause permant damage to the mobo.So make sure you triple check everything.The correct revision number of your mobo is most critical.

Use the @BIOS tool to flash it
Find your BIOS updates here....

http://gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-965P-DS3

Also make sure i've entered the correct mobo.

You don't need a bios update.

Your problem is your running the memory too fast, that's why it's failing overclock.

If your mobo has the option to unlink the fsb form the dimm do that.

Otherwise you need to set the fsb/dimm ratio to where the ram stays at or below 800mhz.

Then I bet it boots just fine.

I had a E6300 (the older 1.86ghz model) and I ran it at 3.43ghz on air with no issues. I did lap the cpu though.
ty.jpg

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
GeekApproved, if a newer BIOS is available, would it hurt? If installed correctly I would think it would be OK.

I do agree though: some RAM sticks will OC OK, and others will cause major issues.

I haven't updated a bios in probably 7-8yrs. I just haven't had a reason to.

Although it is not like it used to be, I still see people on here occasionally that brick their boards doing it, so I usually don't recommend it unless a cpu upgrade requires it or for some other specific problem that the update fixes.

If there isn't a problem, there is no need to do it.

It's up to him if he wants to do it.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
+1 GeekApproved. Generally speaking BIOS updates are for fixes and proper implementation and recognition of new hardware. If you don't touch your hardware and your BIOS works well there's no need to update it.

With newer boards flashing the BIOS has been nearly completely eliminated. With older boards it's still an issue.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

hence the reason i wrote that if your bios works well AS WELL as no new hardware. Before you blabber on about a point which you think wasn't noted you may want to reread previous comments. Because sometimes it was... like up there ^^

I have an AMD64 3000+ that hasn't had a BIOS flash in ages and works perfectly to this day. If it works well and there's no issues why flash it in the first place? It isn't exactly your GPU drivers where you update to support new games regardless of how well the drivers suit your hardware.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

No... it isn't like GPU/crossfire performance. Not at all.

If a BIOS update adds a feature to lower my ram voltage to 1.35 to support the new ECO series of Gskill RAM and I'm currently using 1.65V ram, do i need it?

No, I don't.

If it adds something like the ability to more accurately change the ram voltage, like increments of .05 where it's currently .1, then yes, it's favorable.

Graphics drivers are continuous and go on for years because they're required for new games and the subsequent tweaking that those games require of the hardware they're running on.

But most importantly our little bickering has nothing to do with the OP's topic. The mods can feel free to delete these.

Like I said, if you bought a board that has issues from the start, then a bios update is needed.

Updating everytime a new bios comes out is kinda ridiculously a waste of time and risky.

Caall99

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hi everyone. Sorry I have been a little preoccupied traveling in China! What an amazing country! I purchased a new CMOS battery, let the CMOS reset after removing the battery (also shorted jumpers as manual indicated) and performed some further tweaks. Now running 3 ghz stable and all my settings are sticking. Iirc I gained over 800 points in 3dmark06 and 400 points on cpu passmark suite. Haven't seen temps over 45 c under load! Thanks everyone!