Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help me choose between these two motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2009 8:34:10 AM

Hello all i'm thinking of buying a new motherboard . And from what i had heard and seen Asus motherboards are the best out there as far i can see. And there are these two Asus motherboards that fits my budget and have lots of positive feedbacks from people who use them. The motherboards are Asus P5Q SE PLUS and Asus P5P43TD. The P5Q SE PLUS has P45 newer chipset but supports only DDR2 ram. But the P5P43 supports DDR3 ram but has the P43 chipset. i dont know so much about ram and chipset. So anyone who knows can you help me decide which one is better and why? Any comment is appreciated. lachen

More about : choose motherboards

December 1, 2009 9:52:33 AM

If u will buy p5q se plus is more logical,i think u have already DDR2 RAM. On a 775 LGA board u will not have great benefits with the use of DDR 3 at all. I presume u have a 775 socket based system. The difference from the P43 to P45 is the lack of support for crossfire and lack of support for a DDR3 higher than 1033. But if u will upgrade in not so long time to a i5-i7 system....u can start now with DDR3 memory.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 10:24:43 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Any specific reason you are looking at upgrading your motherboard?
What are your current system specs?

Both of the motherboards you list are very similar in terms of features with a slight lead going to the P5P43TD (software RAID support, eSATA, firewire, legacy ports).
Unless you need any of the extra features, the P5Q SE Plus will work just as good and costs $10 less after MIR.
I guess it really comes down to what you are upgrading from and what RAM you currently have.
There is NO performance gains to be had going from DDR2 to DDR3.
If you already have compatible DDR2 defiantly get the P5Q SE Pro.
Related resources
December 1, 2009 12:44:42 PM

Thank you for your replies :) 
I have crappy ECS 945GCT-NM motherboard. I just got bored of this old motherboard and started to upgrade the Computer. Yes i have DDR2 ram now and as there is not much performance gain on using a DDR3 ram on a socket 775 motherboard as outlw6669 said than i do not think DDR3 is very important. I really do not know what software RAID support, eSATA, fireware and legacy ports do, will do some browsing about them :)  . So the P5Q SE PLUS motherboard and the P5P43TD motherboard wouldn't have any difference in terms of graphics features if I'm going to be using a single graphics card?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 1:11:51 PM

bubs353 said:
So the P5Q SE PLUS motherboard and the P5P43TD motherboard wouldn't have any difference in terms of graphics features if I'm going to be using a single graphics card?

Nope, they both have PCIe 2.0 16x slots and will perform exactly the same.
As far as the other features go, if you don't know what they do, you will probably never use them :p 
m
l
December 2, 2009 1:43:18 AM

outlw6669 said:
Nope, they both have PCIe 2.0 16x slots and will perform exactly the same.
As far as the other features go, if you don't know what they do, you will probably never use them :p 

Gonna check on those extra features the P5P43TD motherboard got and if its important for me :lol:  than gonna go for the P5P43TD motherboard, but if it's not worth than P5Q SE PLUS is good enough :D  . Thanks a lot for your ideas :) 
m
l
!