Sign in with
Your question

Im trying to watercool my 560 ti's

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2011 3:42:21 PM

Ive looked and looked and looked but it seems as though there might not be any way of watercooling the MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk or the MSI GTX 560 Ti twin frozr ii... these are both really really nice cards but i want to OC them and i just dont see it as a very safe option without watercooling... does anyone know of a website that shows whether or not you can watercool either? or maybe cards of equal value that i could water cool

MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk - 950mhz 1024MB GDDR5 4200MHz Memory
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 822mhz 1024MB GDDR5 4200MHz Memory

if anyone could show me a guaranteed 100% compatible watercooling kit for either i would be very happy :) 

More about : watercool 560

a c 324 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 3:47:26 PM

You won't find a 'kit' for GPU watercooling like you are looking for.

You'd need these http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c311/s1396/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Blocks_VGA_-_Card_-_nVidia-GTX_560_Water_Blocks-Page1.html

or a universal block for each instead. You'd also need the rest of the water loop components as well (pump/rads/other blocks/tubing/etc).

What is your budget?

I'd suggest removing the stock coolers and replacing the stock TIM with some good thermal paste and reinstalling the stock coolers. You might see an improvement of 5-8C at load.

What temps are you currently seeing that is cause for alarm?
May 11, 2011 4:03:08 PM

well... i have never honestly water cooled before but i plan on overclocking the two cards a bit. are the waterblocs you showed me universal? the rest of the equipment i will get but its the actual waterblocs im worried about finding. most other forums i have read about the cards say that most waterblocks only fit reference designs.. i dont know if these are the same as the reference designs or not, or how to find out for that matter..

i havent got any temp readings on them yet because im yet to purchase them.. they are currently "pending" in the shopping cart until i find out for certain if i can watercool them, i mean, no point in getting them if i cant water cool them.

im not only water cooling them for performance but also because its a project i need while im deployed overseas (uber bored)

budget isnt really a concern but of course cheaper is always better (i love a good deal)
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 4:33:24 PM

Those waterblocks in the link are for that specific card...they will not work on another card or future releases. A universal block will, however.

Have you read through the sticky at the top of the forum? I have it linked in my signature below...lots of info in there to help answer a lot of your questions.
May 11, 2011 5:17:50 PM

appreciate it you guys!

im quite disappointed there isnt any kind of full waterblock for models other than reference kind but thats life i suppose... well again, thanks :) 

i think ill just keep GPU's stock sense they already come with really nice cooling equipment unless i find better stuff online...

Ciao!
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 11, 2011 6:04:34 PM

Full cover blocks have to be designed to fit exactly for the card it is made for, otherwise, it's just a universal block and should be designed as such.

Might just consider cleaning off the factory thermal paste and applying some good stuff...this often makes a decent difference. Good case airflow is key to any component staying cool...so regardless of the cooler you go with...you'll need lots of cool air to keep it cool. :)  Good luck.
May 29, 2011 11:51:33 AM

I just bought my system and only spent 2000 on it :D 
i eventually chose the 560 ti ds (two of them) because they fit the reference design (awesome)
I found out that EK has a little program that you put your hardware in and it tells you whether it can make them water cooled :) 

i really appreciate your help guys

NEW SYSTEM :D 

MOBO - EVGA P67 FTW
CPU - intel i5 2500k
GPU - dual EVGA 560 ti ds (sli)
PSU - Corsair 750w TX
RAM - 2 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw ddr3 1600's
HDD - 2 1tb WD Caviar Black
Case - Haf 932

^ ^ these only came out the 1501.00$ but the rest cost another 500.. i cant wait for it all to arrive !

ciao ciao all!
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 2:03:24 AM

You shouldn't have too many issues OCing a GPU unless you're pumping tons of voltage into it. My reference GTX 460s OCed past 470 speeds without heating up significantly.
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 1:20:12 PM

^Yes...GPUs typically don't push a lot of heat from overclocking as long as the chips are being cooled until you get into a decent voltage bump...similar to that when bumping volts on a CPU. However, GPUs need to have their vRAM cooled whether by the GPU waterblock or via RAMsinks you add (if using a universal block).
June 1, 2011 5:12:22 PM

ortoklaz said:
here is your best bet ;
http://www.swiftech.com/mcw82vgawaterblock.aspx#tab4

yeah like rubic said, vram needs to be cooled, if you get something like a universal wc for gpu. Gpu block doesn't require you to do that. I got 2 gpu blocks for my 6950, they are specificly for 6950/6970 reference cards. TBH, the msi gpu coolers runs good in temp, even if OC. Try OC it first and see if it running fine, because you might not need to wc your GPU, maybe you CPU only. To my understanding the two cards are not reference cards, also if you really want to WC, getting a GTX 560 without the twin frozer coolers is cheaper.(usually $30-$50 difference)
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 6:33:16 PM

rubix_1011 said:
^Yes...GPUs typically don't push a lot of heat from overclocking as long as the chips are being cooled until you get into a decent voltage bump...similar to that when bumping volts on a CPU. However, GPUs need to have their vRAM cooled whether by the GPU waterblock or via RAMsinks you add (if using a universal block).

I completely understand/agree with that. What I was attempting to say (and should have stated) is that WCing isn't really necessary to OC a GPU, since it shouldn't heat up significantly if the OP has good airflow (or pump insane voltage to it). If the OP doesn't have a good airflow setup, I'd recommend fixing it first because WCing will be just as bad with poor airflow.
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 6:35:38 PM

Ahhh...agree. Poor airflow for cooling will trump any cooling configuration (minus LN2, etc)
!