Sign in with
Your question

Mashita dvd drive UJ 8525 - Region Unlock

Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2011 8:18:38 AM

Hi

I have a Sony TZ VGN 37 LN laptop with a Matshita UJ 8525 DVD drive. I have used up all the 5 changes and it is now locked on region 3 and I wish to view region 2 movies.
Question:-
If I replace the DVD unit in te laptop with a brand new unit - will this solve the problem?
OR
If not - any one got ideas on any other fix - any recomended software available for this task and details on how to use would be appreciated

Thanks
Alex
February 17, 2011 8:55:36 AM

I'm not sure if there is a software fix for that (as far as I know there isn't).

If you do change drives, then you could change it again.

The region lock change is being applied to the drive itself, so if you transfer the drive to another computer, it should still be locked.

Have you tried playing it with other media players such as VLC?
a b G Storage
February 17, 2011 2:38:50 PM

Use AnyDVD from Slysoft.

You can remove the RPC region code, thereby making the movie region free and viewable on any DVD player and with any DVD player software.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 18, 2011 12:44:35 PM

amnotanoobie said:
I'm not sure if there is a software fix for that (as far as I know there isn't).

If you do change drives, then you could change it again.

The region lock change is being applied to the drive itself, so if you transfer the drive to another computer, it should still be locked.

Have you tried playing it with other media players such as VLC?

Hi amnotanoobie
Thanks for the response
Do I understand correctly, if i purchase a new DVD drive of same model from Sony - I will be able to do another 5 changes?

This would suit me fine, up until recently my job involved a lot of travel to various countries around the world, ASIA ( region 3) USA (Region 1) this is how I ended up using the 5 changes. My new job does not involve the extent of travel and I only need region 2.

It seems very unfair practice, but I can understand the reasoning behind this region locking.

I was not aware ( and not made aware) of this potential issue, it was when i did the first region change that I discovered this feature. My old laptop with a diffferent manufacturers DVD drive, did not seem to be a problem.

Really appreciate your help.

Regards
Alex
February 18, 2011 12:55:08 PM

evongugg said:
Use AnyDVD from Slysoft.

You can remove the RPC region code, thereby making the movie region free and viewable on any DVD player and with any DVD player software.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Thanks for trying to help - looking at the slysoft website - they do support Matshita DVD drives - looking at the list, it looks like very other make besides the one in my laptop!
I had spent a fair bit of time trawling the web, and it seems like Matshita is a problem, with very little hope of being able to use my laptop to play region 2 - it is locked on 3.
I was not aware of the issue when I purchased ( thanks Sony) it was only when I did the first region change, tha I discovered this problem (I used to travel the world in connection with my employment) Became a real problem after the 4th change, I assumed I could change back to the original region - but I was wrong!

That is why I was also asking, if I replaced the DVD drive with a new unit, would I be able to use on region 2, - i.e is the lock system in the DVD
Thanks
a b G Storage
February 23, 2011 2:05:10 PM

The lock is in the DVD drive, so you would be able to set it to Region 2.
February 23, 2011 2:08:27 PM

evongugg said:
The lock is in the DVD drive, so you would be able to set it to Region 2.

Many thanks - your information is apprecited
Alex
!