New AM3 Build, need advice!!!

Rusty1230

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I am finally building a new computer, my old 754 finally bit the dust,and I am craving a new rig. Here are the components I have chosen to go with, if anyone has any criticism or advice please let me know, I'd just like to know what other people think of this build before I go buying new parts.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
Mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

As far as the optical drives and hard drive go, I will be reusing from a previous build until I can afford either a raptor or if I hit the lotto an SSD, and eventually a Blu Ray drive. I will also eventually be running a couple video cards in Crossfire a couple months down the road, but until I can afford that I will be using the onboard video.

I am still fairly uncertain in my choice of RAM, I am not 100% decided on the RAM, but I do know that I would like to go with a 4gb Dual Channel kit.

This computer will be used for anything from digital video editing and audio editing, to gaming.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for a after market heatsink for the CPU Im all ears, try to keep in mind the layout of the asus board if at all possible.

Of course I will be over clocking which is why I have chosen Antec's Nine Hundred Two case, for maximum air cooling. Hopefully I'll be able to unlock that 4th core on the 720 as well!!!!

Also keep in mind I would like to keep overall costs around $750 or $800 max! I am firmly set on the case and the PSU as I would like them to last a couple upgrades / builds.

I am thinking about OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227381, with timings 7-7-7-24 at 1.65v. Now I realize this is a triple channel kit, and the mobo only supports dual channel, but I would just run two sticks in dual channel mode until I can get a forth stick of the same stuff ( if I can manage to get a single stick of the same stuff!). I mean three 2gb sticks of DDR31600 for $99 is hard to pass up. Any thoughts on that?

stonebattle

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
You've made some good choices.
You might want to consider overclocking with the stock heatsink and see if you're satisfied with that before adding an after market heatsink
An Antec 300 is a good choice as well. You may have to add a fan or two, but then perhaps not as well.
If you crossfire two HD4770s you could get away with a 600W and perhaps even a 550W power supply and save yourself some bucks for other components, such as a quad core.

TRENDING THREADS