Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What kind of performance gain would an SSD give me ??

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Performance
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2011 12:37:14 PM

I'm building a new rig and I'm really wondering whether I should get an SSD or not ..I have a budget of around 1100-1200 usd ..and right now my config is fitting in just barely ..but i guess i could spend the extra for the SSD but I'm not sure ..i wanna know how much of a performance gain an SSD would give me ..?? ..do you think that gain s worth the money ..I'd be getting a raid0 setup otherwise ..i know how fast SSDs are individually but when installed on a PC what kind f performance gain could i expect ..?
I'd be mostly gaming ..at Max everything ..
uh ..Photoshop
video encoding
maintaing a large music library
HD movies ..and
general usage ..
thanks .. :) 

More about : kind performance gain ssd give

February 17, 2011 2:20:30 PM

It would give you a noticeable increase in speed of applications opening and closing, as well as fast load times for anything that loads really. Gaming you'll load a few seconds faster for maps and other things etc. Boot times will be a little quicker, more noticeably all your applications will load instantly as soon as pc is booted. Most people say I can wait a few seconds for something to load, but I can't see a better upgrade than to have it cut visually all load times in half everytime you do it.
February 17, 2011 2:42:07 PM

wow...couldn't agree more ..that's something I'd want ..so ..with an SSD as soon as I see my wallpaper on my win desktop I,could open any software or program I want instatlntly. ?? ..wow
could you recommend any good 40-60 gig SSD ..it'll be running win 7 ultimate 64 bit ..so 20 gig ..plus whateva software and apps ..
after the ocz problems ..i dont wanna look at SSD with out help from someone who knows his/her way around ..
Related resources
February 17, 2011 2:45:42 PM

ohh, .and ..I'm assuming mixing an SSD and an HDD shouldn't be problem ..but can I instal an SSD later on after using the HDD for sometime?? ..ill be doing a fresh install ..my plan is to upgrade to an SSD later on ..maybe a few months after building my rig ..and ill be installing only the os and some other useful/important software on it ..
a c 411 G Storage
February 17, 2011 2:48:32 PM

That depends on the program or application you are opening. Some will open instantly, some will open very quickly. For, example, Adobe Photoshop will open in 3 to 4 seconds. That is really fast compared to Adobe on a hard disk drive.
February 17, 2011 2:53:58 PM

I would stick with Intel or crucial from everything I've read, my brother has the Intel Ssd 120 gig, its really nice and reliable
February 17, 2011 2:55:38 PM

yeah ..I'm used to waiting ten seconds for Photoshop ..
that's awesome..
February 17, 2011 2:57:42 PM

how much is an Intel 120 gig?? ..don't wanna spend too much ..looking at 100-125$ ..
February 17, 2011 3:42:30 PM

It's 230 but they have an 80 gig version for 150 maybe can't remember check newegg.com
February 17, 2011 3:46:02 PM

230?? ..wow ..i hope SSDs get substantially cheaper over the next six months ..