Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I have recently purchased a new system with the following specs:

Intel core duo E7400 2.80Ghz
Foxcon G31MX
3GB ddr2 ram
Nvidia inno3D 9400gt
320GB HD

The system is running with Windows Vista 32-bit.

The system runs ok in general use (browsing web etc... ) however whenever i start up a graphics intense program such as world of warcraft i get wierd graphic issues such as:

the system freezing for a small period of time or all together

Floor textures disapear or are solid colors (e.g. solid blue floors)

I have had a few BSOD errors that were related to nvlddmkm.sys however these are not as often now.

I have installed all the latest drivers and it runs a little smoother and for longer, however the problems are still there, the screen recently started flickering with fuzzy wierd pixelated colouring. (see image below)

58061755.jpg

This happened in game however when exited it still continues as in the screenshot. If i click restart then this stops when it says system is shutting down.

I also run BF Heroes which does not do this however it still freezes every so often.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions on how i could fix this?

matbou

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
i was running on the default settings, the game runs fine untill the textures disapear. I have just tried running the game on the lowest settings available and it did the exact same ... (see screenshot below)

38656537.jpg

matbou

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
I have updated the chipset, graphics, sound drivers.

i have the newest directX 9.0c (march 2009) installed. (i have tried with directX 10 but did not make any difference)

i have read the WoW FAQ and found infomation about this problem and done as it says. BF heroes does not have this problem however is still freezes for 2 or 3 seconds.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
yeah btw wıth the 9400GT... overclock it. it really can perform "okay" when it's overclocked. Mine is running at 725MHz (core) up from 550 so you could increase your performance

matbou

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Yes i only got it on friday lol. Also BH heroes was just working ok then map restarted and the textures also messed up and were all black :( ... personally i think it is problem with graphics driver and vista, was thinking of installing xp which i belived would solve my problem but i bought the pc with vista and would like it to work with it.

In my Nvidia folder (C:\NVIDIA)however i have 2 folders, "DisplayDriver" & "WinVista",

DisplayDriver>186.18

WinVista>182.08

Device manager says version is: 8.15.11.8618

Before i installed the new driver i uninstalled existing one using device manager in safemode and also all unistalled all nvidia components in the add & remove programs. The WinVista folder however stayed there, i dont know if i can manually delete this folder?

Dont want to overclock as this could void my warrenty :(

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I'm surprised that nobody has told him to monitor his temps and make sure there is good airflow over the card.

Use gpu-z and make sure that the continue refreshing this screen while gpu-z is in the background box is checked. Run a graphically intensive program for a while and check what your temps are.

Post them here along with idle temps.

matbou

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Ok i checked the temperature using GPU-Z ... at start it said it was running at 50oC.

I then run WoW and it went up to a max of 54oC (i can post log file if you want)

After 10 mins it crashed and i got the following message on the desktop when i closed it down:

drivererror.jpg

meewog

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hi everyone. This is my first post :)

I had similar problems with my gtx275's. Tried everything, installing, re-installing windows, drivers ... nothing worked. I was also getting the same driver error. So I took it back to the shop as I had just bought the system a few days before. They did some tests on the system and it turned out there was some problem with the GPU, I had XFX which has lifetime guarantee, so they just changed the cards and now everything is running as it should be. Take the card back and change it before the guarantee expires ;)

taan8141

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
dude, this is happening because of the latest nvidia 190 display drivers. i also had similar kinds of problems. switch to 186 display drivers. & njoy overclocking :hello:

:lol: Serious understatement.

This is Vista's default nvidea driver do not delete!

I've used all the 190.xx drivers up to and including the latest 190.56's and have had no problems with any of them.

@OP, your card is dying, no driver is going to cure the speckling or artifacting shown in your screenshots.

taan8141

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
trust me, i also had similar problem. 190.xx drivers have some weird shaders problems which causes overheating. people who have no problem with these drivers, sure have better cooling in their system & a high end gpu. those who have issues, please atleast try 180 series drivers(i use 186.24), & then comment. please post after trying. your reply would be appriciated :)

taan8141

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
trust me, i also had similar problem. 190.xx drivers have some weird shaders problems which causes overheating. people who have no problem with these drivers, sure have better cooling in their system & a high end gpu. those who have issues, please atleast try 180 series drivers(i use 186.24), & then comment. please post after trying. your reply would be appriciated :)

varun_17

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
dude this is happening coz you have overclocked your gpu memory way over the recommended level.try to underclock it a little bit.

taan8141

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

i've the xfx 9400gt 512mb & i'm overclocking it with riva tuner to gpu clock 601(normal 550), mem 500(normal 400), shader 1603(normal 1400) & playing games for hours with no problem (ofcource with 186.18 driver). this overclock settings is preety low considering i've asus m2n8vmx motherboard, amd athlon 64x2 5200 processor & 4gb ddr2 667 ram. how much r you overclocking your card?? & how much overclocking do you recommend for my card??

varun_17

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

since it is a ddr2 mem module it cannot perform well above 470mhz. so to be on a safe side try 450---- 460 mhz

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I dont overclock whatsoever and my 8800 died on me, also 3-4 off my friends as well, something is up somewhere! im keeping my eye on this thing cause to many people i know are having the same issues

jdcassin

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

HEY matbou... have the same problem with my 9400gt evga 1gb card but even when windows is loading at the begining my display shows those pixeled pictures... of course when I run a game the pc stops and 5 min later appears a message that says: display hardware stops or something like that, my temp is 72ºC and goes near 88ºC (gaming)... sometimes I cant even start up windows cause when windows is loading in the loading picture and it is pixeled it shows me a blue screen in less a sec and restarts...

to be honest 9400gt sucks, try to use the warranty or something cause I just get this card 1 month till stops working... if any solution please let me know! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.