Sign in with
Your question

Q9450 System - See Any Problems?

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2009 9:27:34 PM

This forum rocks. I've learned more here in the week or so I've been puttering around than I did in the previous 2-3 weeks of frustration... And I think I've got my system. Any problems?

I'll be re-using the following - DVD burner, Video card, Case & fans, HDD:

• PLEXTOR PX-712A DVD Burner
  • MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB (New in January 2009)
  • Antec Performance TX640B ATX Mini Tower
  • 7 FANS: --1 x Antec 75009 92mm Case Fan - Retail (side duct for CPU) -- 2 x Antec 75013 80mm Case Fan - Retail (side intake) -- 1x Antec 120mm 3-speed fan (exhaust) -- 2x other 80mm fans (intake) -- 1x expansion slot exhaust fan
  • Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM

Last system had heat issues. You can see all the fans I have on the case! Anyhow, I don't want heat issues - they're a pain. I don't care if there's lots of fan noise (which there is). My main concern is stability, longevity (i.e., reliable, no problems, long lasting, quality). Very rare gaming, mostly Internet w/ some VPNing into my system @ work...

So, here's what I've got in my NewEgg shopping cart:

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor (Yeah, I know it's discontinued, but it's being given to me.)
  • SeaSonic M12D SS-750 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • ASUS P5Q-E LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  • G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (Memory is on the ASUSTeK Q.V.L. for the P5Q-E motherboard...)
  • XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

Any issues? Anything I can do better? I'm looking for a quality build. I'm spending $$$ for a solid PSU, top motherboard, great RAM, etc. I'm looking for stability and longevity first, then performance. Might OC, just because the ASUS software makes it so simple...

Do you think the Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler will fit in my Antec mini tower? Tower is Dimensions are 17.3" x 8.1" x 18.6".

Any other fitment issues? Compatibility issues??

Thank you in advance for checking out my system! I'll probably pull the trigger tomorrow - or the next day (if I can hold off that long!) :bounce: 
  • More about : q9450 system problems

June 9, 2009 10:38:20 PM

That's a pretty solid build you have there. I'm using the exact same board and RAM right now, and an earlier version of the CPU cooler.

The Xigmatek will probably fit in the case, but it's not definite with an older case like that. The 120mm rear fan on the case is a good indicator though.

The power supply is just massive overkill. For a light gamer who is never likely to crossfire or SLI you can do better with a new case and a less expensive PSU.

This Corsair 550VX is every bit as high quality as the Seasonic. It's enough power for any system you are likely to have in the next 5 years, and it's far less.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This combo would give you everything you actually need at a great price:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
    Antec 300 case and the very solid Delta-built EA650, all for just over 100 clams?

EA650 review
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Or, how about this? The Antec Ninehundred case includes even more fans and comes with this Antec TP-750, which is just as good as the Seasonic you listed:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

TP-750 review:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Maybe you are hoping to have the luxury to game more in the future? That's the only reason I think you need 750W, but as you can see you can do just as well for less $.
    June 9, 2009 10:40:27 PM

you have a nvidea card, so you don't need two pci - e slots, and the psu you have is a bit over kill also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99 ($104.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    2 oz copper PCB + Easy Tune 6 for OC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $79.99 ($54.99 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    Related resources
    June 9, 2009 11:36:36 PM

I like the look of that case, too bad its not available any more. I think you will be able to fit the cooler in there just fine, 8.1" wide is pretty good, and it doesn't look like there is a lot of area behind the MB tray, so you should be fine.

Another CPU cooler to look at, I have used this in a couple builds and it keeps the CPU very cool. I am actually stressing an E5200 OC'd to 3.83ghz using this cooler, and its topping out at 53C. Average is about 50-51C. The fan is dead silent too, if you were to swap in a higher CFM fan I am sure temps would be 3-4C lower. The fan that comes with it is only like 30CFM I think. It spins pretty slowly, even at full load.

Just cuz that chip is discontinued doesn't mean its a bad chip. 12MB L2 cache is not very common, that is a very good chip. It was discontinued because it didn't fit Intel's pricing model very well, not because it was a bad performer.

I agree with Why_Me, you don't need two PCIeX16 Slots since you have an Nvidia GPU, the P45 chipset can't do SLI, and the only chipsets that can do SLI with LGA 775 aren't worth the trouble. If you are planning to keep that GPU for a while, then just get his MB recommendation. If you will ditch that 9600GT for an ATI GPU sometime soon, then allowing for Crossfire later may be a good plan of action. A 500W PSU would be enough for that 9600GT, if you want to Crossfire up to two 4870's later, then go for the 750W PSU.

I think I would get this kit of ram instead, there is a chance that the tall heatsinks of the PI Blacks will interfere with your CPU cooler:
    Don't worry if its not on the QVL, those lists are only a fraction of memory that is actually compatible with motherboards. Virtually any kit of ram will go into any MB, as long as its the right kind. DDR3 would not work with that board.
    June 10, 2009 12:07:36 AM

xthekidx said:

I think I would get this kit of ram instead, there is a chance that the tall heatsinks of the PI Blacks will interfere with your CPU cooler:
    Don't worry if its not on the QVL, those lists are only a fraction of memory that is actually compatible with motherboards. Virtually any kit of ram will go into any MB, as long as its the right kind. DDR3 would not work with that board.

Won't be an issue if you use the Xigmatek and P5Q-E, as I have that same combination and there is good of clearance. The Mugen, as I understand it can have the fan placed on any side? Is that right xthekidx?
    June 10, 2009 12:17:29 AM

Yes it can, which is very nifty. It can have a fan on any of its four sides, and you can set up a push/pull configuration as well, if you buy another fan for it. Being able to mount a fan on any side is very nice if you have a platform that can only have the heatsink mounted in one orientation, so you can still have the fans blowing in the direction of your rear exhaust fans, instead of having the heat circulate inside of your case.

Even if it wouldn't have clearance issues, I would still probably go for the mushkin ram instead, as its $10 cheaper and has nearly the same tight timings and excellent low voltage. I have used that kit before and even though its rated at 5-4-4, it runs 4-4-4 just fine at its rated voltage and speed, or at least the kit I got did anyways. It also overclocks very well, I had it at 960mhz at one point because I forgot to adjust the mulitplier, and it didn't throw any errors.
    June 10, 2009 2:08:35 AM

Wow! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the thoughtful replies.

As for Crossfire - I'm anti-AMD, which means I'm stuck w/ Nvidia, which means a single video card... But the thought was that a few years from now if I'm hurting for computing power I can add a pair of lousy no good ATI cards if I'm too cheap to build a new system.

Is that still a valid strategy? So many of the "rules" have changed! I've always planned systems so I can add RAM and upgrade the video card to stave off building a new system for a year or two.

If you guys think my "strategy" is out of date or otherwise invalid or still overkill, let me know. But that was the thinking behind having the mondo PSU and the Crossfire board.

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it very much. That part about push/pull fan setups is great to know, as is the ability to orient the cooler whichever direction and still (hopefully) route the fan(s) pulling from the front towards the rear, rather than from the bottom up.

Thanks again.
    June 10, 2009 2:35:16 PM

Duh - I just realized the heatsink that can have a fan on any side is the Mugen, not the Xigmatek.

Looks like the Mugen fan is more than 30 CFM:
    RPM 324 - 1200 RPM ±10%
    Air Flow 0 - 74.25 CFM

I like the heatsink. Hate sleeve bearing fans tho. I hate making decisions! :lol: 
    June 11, 2009 6:25:19 AM

They are just standard 120mm fans and can always be replaced.
    June 11, 2009 9:02:18 AM

I don't think the fan is capable of 74cfm. It seems like 30-40 to me. But regardless of how fast the fan actually goes, its very quiet and cools very well. So if it is really a 30cfm, just imagine what it would do with a 70cfm fan.
    June 17, 2009 4:28:59 PM

UPDATE -

Built the system this weekend. Got it up and running. Ended up w/ a dead DVD that had to be replaced - it would read CDs but wouldn't read DVDs. And also ended up buying a new HDD and starting w/ a fresh Windoze install.

System's pretty zippy-fast! :D  Still have a few loose ends to tie up - power switch isn't working (prolly just need to swap 2 wires), 1 bank of USB isn't working, and I don't have sound. And don't have any software installed really - just Windoze and all the freaking updates, and Firefox.

Thanks for the help you guys gave. Really awesome!
    !