Solved

Can i use single 2 gb ram with core i5 mobo

can i use single 2 gb ram with core i5 mobo
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about single core mobo
  1. Yes. But not advisable as it's designed for dual channel and 4GB RAM kits aren't that expensive.
  2. why is it not advisable? will it harm the system or do some damage
  3. It won't harm or damage the system at all. It's just that Dual Channel mode requires DIMMS be in pairs, and is worth a few percent performance in real apps.
  4. Scotteq said:
    It won't harm or damage the system at all. It's just that Dual Channel mode requires DIMMS be in pairs, and is worth a few percent performance in real apps.

i will buy 2gb more later but i can't afford it at the moment. i just want to know than my system will run fine with it or not .also what do you think about gigabyte's p55 ud4 mobo
  5. I haven't used that motherboard, so I have no opinion. Gigabyte products are good quality, though, so I would expect no issues out of the ordinary.
  6. I would buy 2 x 1gb sticks for now.... then upgrade later
  7. ^ No!

^^ I Don't know really but I read somewhere that the motherboard must support using one RAM Channel and as far as I know there's no way to know via regular researching or vendor's website However you can contact them via text chat.
  8. Best answer
    You do not have to run 2 sticks of ram. But if you want to run in dual channel mode in the future it would be a good a idea to get a dual channel kit. Not just another stick off ram. When you build a machine you only put one stick of ram in the '1" slot for the 1st post check anyways.
  9. someguy7 said:
    You do not have to run 2 sticks of ram. But if you want to run in dual channel mode in the future it would be a good a idea to get a dual channel kit. Not just another stick off ram. When you build a machine you only put one stick of ram in the '1" slot for the 1st post check anyways.

you mean i cannot just buy another 2gb stick but for dual channel later
  10. save the $$$ and buy an 8gb kit atleast for a processor of that caliber :)
  11. 8GB? Nah - that's unnecessary. I would get a 4GB (2x2GB) kit though - the prices are so low that it's worth it.
  12. cjl said:
    8GB? Nah - that's unnecessary. I would get a 4GB (2x2GB) kit though - the prices are so low that it's worth it.

how much 6gb ddr3 kit cost. i have decided to go with x58 platform now
  13. abhishekshukla1989 said:
    you mean i cannot just buy another 2gb stick but for dual channel later

Not required . Better off with a kit. Depending on the board/ram you can run into a stabilty problems running two different kinds of ram.
  14. ^^ Repost.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core RAM Intel i5