Sign in with
Your question

Zotac gtx280 amp! edition causing heat problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2009 7:35:26 PM

hello all! :hello: 

i've been having a few problems since the warm weather has kicked in because my pc is predominantly watercooled and there is a lack of fans to shift air (several radiators instead). when im playing on high graphics games like crysis warhead on max settings it doesnt lag as such, there seems to be some sort of latency problems..

ill try and explain this as best i can; if theres an intense firefight and i move the mouse or press buttons itll carry on doing what it was previously, for example moving forward and then needing to move left, itll carry on moving forward (still being shot at or whatever) and suddenly appear where i should have been moving to, but without any lag, a few seconds afterwards or sometimes longer

ive figured it might be my 280 cooking the northbridge above it because it burned my hand when i switched off the machine (not fun) so ive, for now, moved the 280 into the second pci-e slot lower down

as much as it seems to be a temporary fix, would putting a waterblock on the gtx280 help stop it from cooking everything else around it? and what could you recommend?

thanks in advance!

p.s the northbridge is connected via heatpipes to other chips on the mainboard so replacing that wouldnt be fun

More about : zotac gtx280 amp edition causing heat problems

a c 236 U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 10:20:53 PM

why not install some fans?
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2009 11:34:06 PM

^+1, just get even some low rpm 120's and that should do
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 1:14:00 AM

Mate i have the same problems...i change the psu ...the case...now i have a thermal take with 4 fans 2 x 24 cmand 2 X14cm...and when i play lets say modern warfare 2 u can make eggs on it or breakfast....i dun no if this is normaly but definetly i will not choose zotac anymore...becouse even if it is maybe designed to work on hight temperatures like 90 C ..im scared of the smell and im scared do not catch on fire the computer.....another friend of mine have gygabite gtx295 and he go on 50-60 C maximum...i was try to contact zotac...and when i was fo that they start to put the same stupid questions..again and again....like :"the system is well ventilated" or...nothing block the exaus.....to be honest i dont think they know what is exactly the problem or they released a prototype on market...btw u can use zotac firestorm to see your video card temperature
December 3, 2009 1:28:09 AM

Quote:
Mate i have the same problems...i change the psu ...the case...now i have a thermal take with 4 fans 2 x 24 cmand 2 X14cm...and when i play lets say modern warfare 2 u can make eggs on it or breakfast....i dun no if this is normaly but definetly i will not choose zotac anymore...becouse even if it is maybe designed to work on hight temperatures like 90 C ..im scared of the smell and im scared do not catch on fire the computer.....another friend of mine have gygabite gtx295 and he go on 50-60 C maximum...i was try to contact zotac...and when i was fo that they start to put the same stupid questions..again and again....like :"the system is well ventilated" or...nothing block the exaus.....to be honest i dont think they know what is exactly the problem or they released a prototype on market...btw u can use zotac firestorm to see your video card temperature

aha! thanks very much - even watercooling it didnt help as much as id hoped. atleast now i can *safely* downclock it to standard 280 specs so therefore less heat, thanks!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 7:04:39 AM

well im using the firestorm softwatre..and i forghet to tell u ..my computer even switch off sometimes from unknown reasons....welll at least apear like this....but im usisng firestorm and i downcloacking her engine clock ..this is helping me....but realy i will change this video card...
!