Sign in with
Your question

Are you still using XP professional x64 edition?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 16, 2011 12:03:41 AM

I am and unless new software forces me to switch I don't see a lot of advantages to use Windows 7.
I'm using CAD/3D software.
It's suppose to bring acceleration here and there but I used it on a different machine and can't really confirm.

XP 64 is rock solid and never let me down so far.

What do you think?
Over at CGpersia they called me "2001 playa" :kaola:  when I posted I still use XP 64.
November 16, 2011 1:09:49 AM

If you have x64 drivers for all your hardware, then go for it! For most hardware Windows 7 64-bit is the better choice because of the limited drivers of XP x64.
November 16, 2011 1:11:02 AM

Windows XP x64 Edition with SP2 is a great no-frills operating system and has never let me down either.

I have no use for eye-candy and cute things that spin or twirl on the screen, wasting clock cycles to animate. My preference for eye-candy is a job getting done as fast as my old AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ can do it without wasting my time.

My x64 has never crashed or had even the slightest malfunction. I can't say that about my 32 bit XP. My CPU is a "Black Edition" but I've never OC'd it either.

I dual-boot Windows XP Professional SP3 to use tons of 32 bit apps that I don't want plugging up my workhorse, the x64. [:tigsounds]

I run Sonar Producer and Adobe CS-4 as the main chores for x64.

Related resources
November 16, 2011 1:16:15 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
If you have x64 drivers for all your hardware, then go for it! For most hardware Windows 7 64-bit is the better choice because of the limited drivers of XP x64.

So true. My opinion on drivers is that there is little need to have the latest LAN, keyboard, mouse, and other static hardware drivers. Realtek has been great about keeping x64 on the table for sound drivers and AMD hasn't abandoned x64 yet either for their HD cards. For me, the most important drivers to keep up to date are sound and video and so far, so good.

Speaking of AMD... the wonderful "Theater Mode" (for dual monitors) works in all versions of XP but it doesn't work anymore in Win 7 (or Vista).

November 16, 2011 12:40:15 PM

funny thing is I had problems installing W7 on my x7dwa board because it requires some tweaks to get devices to work - in contrast to xp 64.
Supermicro support was very helpful and everything works fine now except a device on my ati card - but that is amd driver issue, so...
November 16, 2011 2:13:10 PM

designfriemel said:
funny thing is I had problems installing W7 on my x7dwa board because it requires some tweaks to get devices to work - in contrast to xp 64.
Supermicro support was very helpful and everything works fine now except a device on my ati card - but that is amd driver issue, so...

AMD issue? My board is a DFI Lanparty with AMD chipset and ATI HD video. Start a new question thread with your problem, maybe it can be solved.
November 16, 2011 5:37:24 PM

tigsounds said:
AMD issue? My board is a DFI Lanparty with AMD chipset and ATI HD video. Start a new question thread with your problem, maybe it can be solved.

i appreciate your concern but it's not even worth a little effort.
before i use w7 i'll buy a new gpu anyway. all is well under my workhorse xp 64.
July 31, 2012 9:20:05 AM

I agree XP x86 and x64 are both great OS's and rock solid. I recently upgraded to XP x64 after many years of using XP x86. We only use XP at the office on our server (providing file sharing, printing and internet services), PC's and laptops without any problems - I upgraded most PC's and laptops to XP x64 recently without problems - drivers are still widely available, even for new laptops such as my acer 7740G (which I also upgraded to x64) I tried 7 ultimate a few months ago but wan't impressed - nothing really new / radically different mind blowing - bland UI, missing shortcuts, same desktop / taskbar / mouse combination principal. The day I can talk to my PC and it executes my commands and it has a mindblowing UI I will consider upgrading.

I like many others have customized XP to look nice with a modern visual style, integrated AHCI drivers so XP can be installed on new systems, component drivers, preset settings, automated installation etc. which is also one of the reasons I am not fond of 7 because I can't personalize 7 like I can XP - when I use an OS I want to make it mine throug personalization and customization.
!