SATA Hard Drive Not Detected in BIOS or Setup

alafaele684

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I was trying to wipe my machine and then it freeze halfway through it. so I restarted the machine and now its asking for a boot device, and when i enter the BIOS setup there is no hard drive detected, and there is no primary IDE master...any ideas on this, I tried to wipe it over but it wont allow it, it says to insert the cd and do a repair, try that but nothing, even try to locate the hard drive in BIOS nothing

Allnsmth

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

hi,
Try the master or slave setting , whichever you have it listed as. Don't forget if it is set to master, then make sure it is on the END of the cable and if SLAVE, make sure it is in the middle of the cable.

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
If its possible I would transfer the SATA drive to another PC as a slave drive and re-format it in windows.

Right click on Computer or My Computer depending on what version of windows you were using and click manage. Then click on disk management and locate the drive. It will also tell you how healthy the drive is. If it reports it to be bad.......buy a new drive. If not just reformat it to NTFS and try putting it back into your main PC and see what happens.

Also within most BIOS menus there is an option to turn on or off the various SATA ports. Make sure they are all on for ease.

Also make sure the boot sequence is CD-rom drive first then the SATA port you want to use for the OS second.

If the drive is not dead then you should be able to reload windows.

Let me know how you get on.

Latest posts