xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi all,

I am planning an upgrade for my computer at the end of this year. Right now my current specs are:

Gigabyte p965-dq6 rev 1.0
E6400
4 gig ddr2 800mhz ram
GTX 260
Antec 550W power supply.

The graphics card i bought 6 months ago, so that won't be touched. I am really focusing on my CPU as its showing is age now :(. My motherboard doesnt support 1333mhz CPU's so thats going to have to go. I am pretty out of date with technology now so if you guys could recommend a MOBO and CPU combo that will go with my GTX 260 that would be great.
I dont plan to overclock.

Also, will DDR2 memory work on a DDR3 board? or will i have to upgrade my ram as well. I only really want to get a better CPU atm but if theres anything else i HAVE to upgrade in order to get a new cpu ill do.

Budget isnt a problem, but i dont want the best of the best. Need to save money for a holiday. :)
I hope i have given enough information and thanks for your time guys.

xxdejavuxx

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Sorry i forgot to mention the games i am wanting to play.

Diablo 3, starcraft 2. I am really only into RPG's and Strategy. I might try demanding games like crysis was but i am not a fan of them.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Wait for the i5 shakedown to finish, and build with either a Phenom II 955 (NOT 965, unless it drops in price. The 955 is still a good deal ATM), a Phenom II 720 (a 3-core CPU, the sweat spot for gaming right now, again still a good deal with the possibility of getting price-dropped), or a Core i5.

ulysses35

Distinguished
I would definately give i5 a look... current benchmarks doing the rounds show it has some very good performance increase over C2D and pretty much everything from AMD too.... give it a month and let the launch prices settle.

Well it depends on your budget. With a resonable budget I say go with an i5, 4GB of DDR3, and a P55 board that supports SLI. If you're budget is only like $200 though then you can go AMD and get an Phenom II 550 BE and a decent board while keeping your RAM and everything else. Of course I recommend overclocking that 550BE so it would be good to get a cooler if you had the cash for it :D.

As shumbhan suggested, you may want to try overclocking your CPU a bit for now.