Purchasing an Asus P6TD Deluxe... do I need a new sound card??

charrolastroo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
This is my first time using a forum for this purpose, I can almost always google to find someone else who asked the same question I have...but not this time!

So, as the title says I am getting a new mobo soon and my general concern is what extra cards, peripherals, and parts I will need?

I currently have an XPS 410 stocked with all the goodies that will transfer over to my new mobo (hard drive and video card). Since this is a pretty drastic upgrade from my setup, I have purchased a new processor to match the motherboard I am getting, new ddr3 RAM tri-channel, a better graphics card, and now I am wondering what else I am forgetting? My biggest worry was the sound card issue. I have absolutely no knowledge of sound cards, whatsoever. I know that some cheaper motherboards have integrated audio, whereas others do not. I would assume that the p6td deluxe does not have integrated audio... but that is why I am on this forum.

If that is the case, how does one shop for sound cards? Again, my requirements are purely for gaming and workstation use (In that order!), so then does anyone recommend any sound cards? And is installing a sound card the same as installing any other kind of PCI card? Do sound cards even go into a PCI slot??

On a final note, it recently occurred to me that I may have issues putting my new motherboard in my old Dell Chassis. If the dimensions are universal (ATX) then it should theoretically fit... right? If anyone has some experience with this, please assist me! Thank you!

Solution
Sound cards are overrated. The latest onboard sound chips (which have been on every single motherboard I've ever purchased) are actually pretty decent. Do you plan on hooking the PC up to a 5.1/7.1 receiver for multichannel audio (surround sound)? If so, you may notice more of a difference than most folks with desktop speakers (even good ones). Sound card companies used to brag that having a card would increase frames in games since the audio is offloaded to a different chip. This is not the case anymore, don't buy the hype. The only reason to get a card is for increased audio quality, connectors that you may need, or for better drivers (creative has good drivers for audio recording).

Installing one is the same as any other card - easy...

festerovic

Distinguished
Sound cards are overrated. The latest onboard sound chips (which have been on every single motherboard I've ever purchased) are actually pretty decent. Do you plan on hooking the PC up to a 5.1/7.1 receiver for multichannel audio (surround sound)? If so, you may notice more of a difference than most folks with desktop speakers (even good ones). Sound card companies used to brag that having a card would increase frames in games since the audio is offloaded to a different chip. This is not the case anymore, don't buy the hype. The only reason to get a card is for increased audio quality, connectors that you may need, or for better drivers (creative has good drivers for audio recording).

Installing one is the same as any other card - easy as pie.

Theoretically it will all fit in your dell case, but I would not be the least surprised that it doesn't. Dell in Swahili means "Proprietary".

Solution

Greymeesh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I have the same board as you and asked the same question! I bought myself one of the high end creative xf-i sound cards and fitted it along with my good quality speakers. To be honest, I couldn't find any real difference at all! The sound chip on the P6TD board is excellent with high definition and positional sound there isn't any need to add a sound card in my opinion it just adds extra heat in the PC!