Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Iv been Trying but cannot get Raid0 set up??Any ideas?

Last response: in Storage
February 18, 2011 12:34:19 AM

Hey guys, Iv been stuck on this all day and im literally feeling sick...I just rebuild a PC and i wanted to set up a raid0 with two raptor 600GB Sata 6....Im have a Asus P7P55D- E Pro.....and even after reading and researching i simply cannot get it to work? Can any one share there experienced knowledge so i can finnaly get this hooked up and have a good understanding of how to do this? Thank you so much.

Oh and im running & 64bit ultimate, again any info wouuld be great!
Ed

More about : raid0 set ideas

February 20, 2011 1:49:00 PM

Any one, still completely stuck?
m
l
February 21, 2011 2:58:33 AM

i dont know how to hardware raid but i do know u can software raid which gives you one disk drive instead of 2 (combines 2 disks into 1) . However, does not increase the speed at all which i am assuming is what your looking to do correct ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 21, 2011 12:42:18 PM

i just recently learned how to do raid but i didn't see much improvement in terms of speed and boot up takes about 20-40s longer because of booting raid rom

anyway, usually nowadays we have "integrated raid controller" in your motherboard or you bought a raid controller card
this is called hardware raid

before you start all of this raid stuff, make sure you back up all your important files/folders and you gonna have to install a fresh copy of your os
(you can't use a backup/recovery program to reinstall your os unless you used it with the same raid settings before)

when you have this, first thing i did was go into the bios and change the sata into ide settings to raid settings ()

after that happens, you'll see a screen loading your raid rom/drivers at startup and will ask you press some keys to get into the raid screen
ie. it was ctrl-f for me

now you go in there and define a new raid array
ie. raid 0 with 1.2tb of space
now your 2 harddrive is recognized as a raid 0 drive
after that you might have to go back to bios to change the boot priority list (maybe it's automatic)
then you going to install fresh os
*caution* as soon as you define the new raid array, everything is erased already

hope my instructions help a little
m
l
February 21, 2011 1:18:52 PM

Software Raid Windows 7

if you want the quick solution ... back up both drives if they have anything on them ... Using windows goto start menu and type in manage and goto computer management, storage, disk management and then you wanna find the two drives and select one and right click. Make it dynamic and do the same for the other.... After this right click on of the drives and select the option that suites your needs... Your using two exact disks so you should be able to select spanned volume, stripped volume .

http://www.softwaresecretweapons.com/jspwiki/windows-7-...
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:04:52 PM

Hi there

Usually after your 2 wd HDD's are detected a message appears to press something like allready mentioned above CTRL+F or similar. Sometimes this is hiden by a screen ie asus boot or similar. Once in the RAID BIOS select RAID type i.e. 0,1,5:
1. Select the disks participating in this RAID config
2.Size of the stripe (usually 64k)
3.Select them to be boot disks
4. Initialise them.Unsure if select boot is first or after.
Boot from windows install and press F6 for additional drivers if XP or use vista and usb flashdrive preloaded with your chipset drivers and see it it sees your raid partition.(it should be 1.2TB)

If all the above is not applicable then there must be an option of loading RAID chipset bios is i.e. disabled

Let me know how u get on
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:06:50 PM

dude no one use vista or xp its windows 7 now a days
m
l
February 21, 2011 9:00:08 PM

dude steps of creating the RAID are the same and installing the drivers for vista or 7 same incase you forgot that 7 is a remade vista so it more or less same with a bit of makeup
m
l
February 27, 2011 5:24:37 PM

Hey Guys, Okay so Im the OP and I finnaly Got it set up...The reason i was having trouble was that i had both drives hooked up to the sata6 ports....i guess you cannot set up a sata6 RAID???? If Im wrong please do let me know because the drives im using are sata6 drives.

Now I was able to finally boot into the Raid Bios and did create a successful raid0, However three days into the setup i threw a couple hot-swappable drives in and the intel matrix storage manager all of a sudden tells me that one of the drives has an error and suggest i back up my data. However i did a check Disc and it shows that everything okay, i also installed the WD data Life Gaurd utility and it passes the quick and extended test...so then i simply checked off the error in the intel contorller and now everything is fine, I GUESS?

Is there a setting i need to change in the bios so i can use other drives in a non raid config?

Or is there a Good Program which diagnoses any issues with either of the raid drives?

THanks for any support guys!
Ed

m
l

Best solution

March 3, 2011 7:34:24 PM

Hi Path,

I had a look at your MoBo and its BIOS is somewhat similar to mine. Basically i would sugest to set the transfer rate in bios on AUTO or 3gbs(look it up in the manual) as a first step (is probably set to 6gbs). If you are to connect your Tray HDD's (please specify type) to the same chiset there could be some issues and i wont go into details. Depending on your number of your tray hdd's move them for the moment on the Jmicron ports(only 2 of them unfortunately).There is a setting in bios that you can allocate ports 1-4 for raid and the rest as AHCI/iIDE (5 and 6). I have found on my mobo that that if i connect my ssd raid 0 with a raid 1 mechanical(i.e 3-4 or 5-6) it wont work on the same port and i had to move them onto the Jmicron port and lefte it there.Its probably a FW or jumper setup but didnt dig hard yet. Please let me know how are you set up atm
I have found some issues with Samsung drives on certain chipsets so it may apply to you as well.

Thanks
March 3, 2011 10:03:32 PM

sylmarils said:
Hi Path,

I had a look at your MoBo and its BIOS is somewhat similar to mine. Basically i would sugest to set the transfer rate in bios on AUTO or 3gbs(look it up in the manual) as a first step (is probably set to 6gbs). If you are to connect your Tray HDD's (please specify type) to the same chiset there could be some issues and i wont go into details. Depending on your number of your tray hdd's move them for the moment on the Jmicron ports(only 2 of them unfortunately).There is a setting in bios that you can allocate ports 1-4 for raid and the rest as AHCI/iIDE (5 and 6). I have found on my mobo that that if i connect my ssd raid 0 with a raid 1 mechanical(i.e 3-4 or 5-6) it wont work on the same port and i had to move them onto the Jmicron port and lefte it there.Its probably a FW or jumper setup but didnt dig hard yet. Please let me know how are you set up atm
I have found some issues with Samsung drives on certain chipsets so it may apply to you as well.

Thanks

Thank you for your time in responding.....so im not sure if i fixed the issue or not, basically i just inserted the two tray harddrives located in the hot-swappable bays of the Obsidian 800D, then restarted the PC and the raid is intact and the other two drives work just fine. I will look in the Bios and check into which ports are 1 & 0 and so on...I do know i have two grey ports which are the sata6 ports, and then there are two other blue ports up top which are separated from the rest of the blue sata ports..

Also,
What are your thoughts about having the two raptors set up in a raid0 or should i simply run one raptor in sata6? Would the speeds be about the same?

Thanks again!!
m
l
March 3, 2011 10:25:41 PM

Hi I think that the blue ones (i.e. 4 ) can be configured as RAID 0 1 5 10 and the other 2 (i.e. grey) as ahci/ide.Note that all that group(blue+grey) is linked to your 6gbs raid controller . If you dont have the manual download it from ASUS or it must be printed on the MOBO(small marking ) i.e.SATA01 Sata 23. The separated ones beside the IDE are the Jmicron sata connectors at 3gbs beside the ATX power connector
http://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/reviews/asus/p7p55d_e...
m
l
a b G Storage
March 3, 2011 10:31:03 PM

Ed

The SATA 6Gb in your MB does not support RAID - It runs as JBOD - two individual drives

RAID0 always faster than single drives, but be careful if you lost ONE drive you will loose your data

Where RAID1 is a mirror raid, you have redundancy but performance as a SINGLE drive

If you really want to speed up the OS and loading programs ect... Use SSD drive in your SATA6 bus.

The booting process will take about 12sec...
m
l
March 3, 2011 10:39:45 PM

You can go always RAID 10 and keep your speed plus redundancy but will cost you double for the same cappacity... and yes Firewire is right SSD is the answer and with the high MTBF compared to mech is the way to go. There are some considerations to be taken into account when migrating to SSD RAID 0 so read carefully. BTW i checked your manual and the grey ones are Sata 6gbs. and the blue ones 3gbs. I sugest to connect the RAID 0 to the grey. Im unsure how you are set up but you might need to reinitialise your raid 0 on the Marvel controller so that means Data Loss!!! if your RAID was created on the P55 controller i.e. connected to the blue ones
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
March 4, 2011 1:34:27 AM

Looks like every thing is pretty well sorted out.
Just a few comments. First ALL my systems from early 2000 up to 2009 have been Raid0 systems. My BU computer (E6400 @ 3.2 GHz) has two pairs of Raid0 (Vista on one pair and XP Bus on the 2nd pair. Stopped using raid0 on my latest computer - went with a SSD for the boot Drive.

Now the comments:
Raid0 does not provide much performance increase for loading the operating system, nor program load times. UNLESS you short stroke the drives. Reason - Raid0 does not improve 4K random read/writes nore access time (again unless you short stroke). Raid0 DOES improve sequencial read/writes which benifit lworking with large files such as DVD files (.vob which are typically 1 Gig, Blu-ray files which can be upto 40 Gigs, CAD/CAM drawing files and large database files.

Short stroke - You only set the size to 20->30% of total disk space. I used two WD 640 Gig drives and set the size to 400 gigs. This decreased access time from approx 12.6 mSec down to 9.5 mSecs. But Lost the remaining 800 Gigs - Loved it, But then came SSDs
m
l
March 4, 2011 2:09:33 AM

Hmm I still use vista and xp on certain machines for certain things so I guess people do still use those OSes.
My main system is win 7 though.
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:20:10 AM

FireWire2 said:
Ed

The SATA 6Gb in your MB does not support RAID - It runs as JBOD - two individual drives

RAID0 always faster than single drives, but be careful if you lost ONE drive you will loose your data

Where RAID1 is a mirror raid, you have redundancy but performance as a SINGLE drive

If you really want to speed up the OS and loading programs ect... Use SSD drive in your SATA6 bus.

The booting process will take about 12sec...

Thanks again to everyone for there thoughts and suggestions...right now i cant afford to buy an SSD drive, so im trying to get the most out of what i have.

I wanted to let you know how i have the current drives set up... if you see the MOBO layout http://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/ [...] otherboard

I currently have the two Raptors in the raid0 connected to 1 & 2 which are located next to the memory slots....I then have the hotswappable bays hooked up to the other 4 blue ones, and the cd/dvd drive hooked up to the black one next to the usb ports...after reading about that black sata port im unsure if i have it configured the proper or most efficient way??
That black one is called the Sata_E1 connector which has a side note in the Manuel and I dont really understand what it means, it says

"To enable hot-plulugging, set the J-Micron Controller item in the bios setting to [AHCI Mode], and then reboot the system. see section 3.6.3 Onboard Device Configuration for details"

I currently have the dvd drive hooked up to that port, But now im thinking maybe i should rearrange everything and forget the raid0 with the raptor....whats the point of having such a great sata6 drive if its not being used in the sata 6 port?

I do have another PC which im building As my Media PC and im considering it might be best to have one of the sata6 drives in that build?

Which would then leave me with the option of having one raptor set up as sata6 in each build? Any thoughts? Or i could use two of my other 7200 rpm drives set up in a raid0 in my main PC, just not using the sata6 drives?

What it all boils down to is that i just dont know enough about the BIOS settings and how the Controllers work, specially that Black port which has the J-Micron Controller??

Again i cant thank you guys enough for being so patient and helpful with sharing your experience and knowledge. Thank you very much for any and all words of advice!
Ed
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
March 4, 2011 12:31:22 PM

Sata 6 Mechanical, on Sata 6 controller, offer very little performance increase over Sata II HDDs on Sata II controller.

On Impulse while at Microcenter I picked up a WD 1TB Black - Would have been better to pick up the F3 and used the extra $20 on whatever. The throughput for mechanical HDDs is limited by it's rotational RPMs and platter density and for this reason does not exceed SATA III spec. They only improvement I've found is in burst speed. SATA 6 HDDs is more a marketing ploy - Hey here is the lastest specification. The only devices currently that provide a noteable improvement in performance are the New SATA 6 SSds.

I'm not against Sata 6 HDDs, just don't expect a notiable improvement in day-to-day performance and their cost should only bee a few bucks higher than their Sata II counterparts.
m
l
March 5, 2011 11:09:12 PM

pick a best answer and close this :) 
m
l
March 6, 2011 5:11:00 PM

Best answer selected by pathfinder2.
m
l
!