Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access desktop

Last response: in Windows XP
November 16, 2011 1:46:44 AM

Hi,

My computers got several viruses and now they have the bsod. One computer now however does not even make it to the bsod it just keeps cycling on and rebooting without turning off and showing the Windows xp screen, msg - windows did not start successfully, countdown from 29 secs, then it starts all over again. Cannot operate in safe mode as it is disabled.by the virus.

This model is desktop HP Pavillion a700y. My laptop still shows the bsod. It is an Acer Aspire 5610z

I tried to use a boot cd, but was not able to download anything to get the viruses off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : access desktop

November 16, 2011 2:37:44 AM

Ohhhk, So...

The computer that restarts itself over and over has the cyclic redundancy issue, the best way to fix this is to insert your windows installation disc and boot from disc using "One time Boot menu" < Pretty sure that's what Hp's call it... and then follow the prompts until you have a repair option.. then select repair and let the good times fly...

For the other computer that has the bsod look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248626-45-simple-free...
m
l
November 16, 2011 3:04:19 AM

jmksd said:
Hi,

My computers got several viruses and now they have the bsod. One computer now however does not even make it to the bsod it just keeps cycling on and rebooting without turning off and showing the Windows xp screen, msg - windows did not start successfully, countdown from 29 secs, then it starts all over again. Cannot operate in safe mode as it is disabled.by the virus.

This model is desktop HP Pavillion a700y. My laptop still shows the bsod. It is an Acer Aspire 5610z

I tried to use a boot cd, but was not able to download anything to get the viruses off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In addition to what Combat Wombat suggests:
The HP factory install option at boot is either f10 or f11 key. Not certain as I am not a user, and have seen different keys cited in different articles. Of course, you will lose personal files.

Not being able to use Safe Mode: You might consider using a working computer to d/l & burn a Rescue CD to boot from. While there, also download Malwarebytes free scanner to pen drive to install on infected computers, provided you ever get to a point where you can.

BSOD Acer Aspire: Can you research the stop code on the BSOD ? Most times they are cryptic & generalized, but might point you in the right direction.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 1:13:57 PM

Combat Wombat said:
Ohhhk, So...

The computer that restarts itself over and over has the cyclic redundancy issue, the best way to fix this is to insert your windows installation disc and boot from disc using "One time Boot menu" < Pretty sure that's what Hp's call it... and then follow the prompts until you have a repair option.. then select repair and let the good times fly...

Thank you for the suggestions and your time to answer my questions. I will try them today and let you know what happens. Thank you!
m
l
November 26, 2011 1:14:57 PM

ksiemb said:
In addition to what Combat Wombat suggests:
The HP factory install option at boot is either f10 or f11 key. Not certain as I am not a user, and have seen different keys cited in different articles. Of course, you will lose personal files.

Not being able to use Safe Mode: You might consider using a working computer to d/l & burn a Rescue CD to boot from. While there, also download Malwarebytes free scanner to pen drive to install on infected computers, provided you ever get to a point where you can.

BSOD Acer Aspire: Can you research the stop code on the BSOD ? Most times they are cryptic & generalized, but might point you in the right direction.

Thank you for the suggestions and your time to answer my questions. I will try them today and let you know what happens. Thank you!
m
l
November 26, 2011 8:50:10 PM

jmksd said:

combatwombat +1

Listen to the advice you are getting, here !
m
l
November 28, 2011 4:52:29 PM

Combat Wombat said:
Ohhhk, So...

My current response:

I received this HP computer used and therefore do not have the windows installation disc. I have Boot Disk for windows xp by etechEmprium and I have tried Trinity Rescue kit to no avail by the same company. I will check out your link for the other computer later on today.

In addition for the HP computer I pressed F10 for system recovery. I saw the black background with the white bars at the bottom that said HP system recovery. It was very fast and now it is just a light blue screen. It has already been 5 minutes in that state. I need to go, but will report when I come back if it is still a light blue screen as well as the bsod info for the laptop. Hope that you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

m
l
November 28, 2011 8:23:21 PM

OK for the HP computer it stayed a light blue color for hours. I tried to get it to go to the screen to change the boot order by pressing F2. I saw the screen, but it would not recognize the keyboard for me to scroll down to press usb/cd rom as the first choice.

For the laptop when it comes on it said, Media test failure, check cable

The first time it went to Windows Error Recovery with the 2 options - Launch Startup Repair and Start Windows normally.
For the Launch start up Repair there was a long wait and then it went to a page that with enlarged "Please Wait" . Finally it gets to a page that said Other User with space to put user name and password. It rejected my password. The msg said - Windows Security Please enter a user name and password. I did it again, and it said, "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. I had to shut it down manually.

Then when I turned it on again i saw Windows Boot Manager. The bar near Microsoft logo on the bottom just kept going. I shut it down again and this time the Windows Error REcovery screen came up. I chose Start windows normally. I saw:

Microsoft Beep.SYS
Driver_Unloaded_without cancelling_pending_operations
Stop: 0X000000CE and then a whole bunch of numbers

I went to avg to download the usb boot disk, but I don't think I did it right. The instructions say:

"Extract the archive downloaded from AVG web directly on the removable USB flash drive." How do I extract the archive?

"It has to be extracted in the root folder of the disk - do not use a subfolder." I don't know how to do this.

Run the extracted makeboot.bat batch file. When started it will overwrite the boot record. Make sure you are using the desired USB flash drive, otherwise it can make your Windows un-bootable!

"In the opened window press any key to prepare the USB flash drive." Don't know how to do this one either
After this process is finished (message will be displayed) you can close the window.

Thank you again for your help!
m
l
!