selwynmdouglas

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hello,
i have a 500GB HDD partitioned into 4 with 59GB for the C drive and suddenly i keep loosing my free spac although i am not storing anything on it.i had 40GB free and it kept reducing until i have 18GB now and thats in three days.help!

Allnsmth

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Hi,

Try a defrag/scandisk/chkdsk first to see if that clears it. If not you may have to format the disk to get the space back. If you have valuable info on the disk, then buy a new one. They are relatively cheap these days.When i had the situation the disk was freezing on the format trying to clear the bad sectors.

haphestus

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Click on the windows button, then right click computer or my computer depending on your windows version, and select manage.

locate the drive and right click properties, then select disk clean up. Wait a few seconds for it to scan the drive then click more options tab. Then click the clean up button next to the shadow volumes section.

This will delete the shadow copies of any backup/restore point you have ever created.

If this is successful then do an immediate full backup of your system to make sure you can restore it if it fails in the future.

I agree that checking your system for spy-ware is a good thing, I use super anti-spyware http://www.superantispyware.com/ its free and effective.

May I ask why four partitions on a small drive?

I hope this helps