Sign in with
Your question

Switching out Mobos from a Nforce sli raid 0 to a gigabyte on board

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2009 9:42:08 PM

Currently have a Nforce sli raid controller on my mobo and the new mobo has raid ability but isnt branded Nforce is this going to render me a problem or is raid simply raid the Nforce is just a different gui per say to set it up?
December 1, 2009 11:58:50 PM

Bonng said:
Currently have a Nforce sli raid controller on my mobo and the new mobo has raid ability but isnt branded Nforce is this going to render me a problem or is raid simply raid the Nforce is just a different gui per say to set it up?

You will most likely lose the raid volume.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2009 12:13:53 AM

Get Acronis imaging software and make an image of your current system to an external drive. Make an Acronis imaging boot CD. Burn the drivers for the new MB chipset and RAID controller on another CD. Setup the new motherboard and initialize the disks for the RAID you are going to use, (yes this will basically overwrite the hard drives). Hook up the external drive and boot the Acronis CD. You are going to restore the backed up image to the new RAID, you can remove the boot CD and put in the driver disk. When you are asked about Universal Restore, choose yes and point at the CD with the driver disk. This will "inject" the correct drivers for the new board and RAID controller while it restores your image...

A GREAT piece of software!
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2009 12:35:09 AM

That would be great but the old system doesnt start or post or anything so im kind of sol on the ghosting of the raid unless i can somehow start the pc on a different drive and then ghost the raid that way???? this isnt sounding so great for me if im gonnna lose whats on my hard drives in doing this....

any other ideas that would be worth looking further into would be very much so appreaciateted.

Thanks again for the posts so far
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2009 12:59:38 AM

Next time, (yes you are TOAST for now), use a hardware RAID controller card to setup your drives. That way you're not tied to a motherboard chipset in any future moves. Suck it up and move on... Consider using a single drive for the OS and using the RAID_0 for the games and apps... It just depends on how important your data is...
m
l
December 2, 2009 2:10:37 AM

Really the data on the 2 drives is not accessible at all? or unless i get a nforce raid board some where/how and back them up with it? thats really not what i wanted to hear atm.... But as soon as i got home the issue finally went ding in the back of my head and i was pretty much figuring it wasnt gonna be an easy thing to work around but life isnt ever a down hill event for me so i guess ill try to use a different drive till iget a way to save the data
m
l
!