My laptop won't boot up even in the bios and just has a black screen

cakeluv

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
In the last couple of days I've had some strange problems with my laptop. It is 3+ years old and a month ago I installed windows 8 on it to test it out. It has been running flawlessly ever since until now. 2 days ago it booted up by itself when it was in sleep mode with the lid closed and it did it once again even when it was turned off. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but it turned on by itself when nobody was in that room.
I read on google that it might be a hacker attack, but I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 installed...dont know if that can stop a guy like that though. Havent used any credit cards or anything important on that lappy, so wouldn't be too worried about that.
Today i just wanted to check some sports news, but my laptop didn't even boot up into the bios. All the lights turn on, but the screen wasnt doing anything. I connected it also to the TV via VGA cable and it didn't show anything on the TV either. It has always worked perfectly when i just plug it in.
Plus all the ventilators work well and all the usual sound are there, but the cpu led light doesn't light up though. That seems to be the only visible issue.
Any thoughts about this?

win8 has an annoying habbit of waking computers up to check for updates. If your computer is modern enough then it wakes up, does it's thing, and then powers back off without you even knowing that it even turned on. On older systems (like your laptop, and my desktop) it turns on all of the way, and then the system has to time out to go back to sleep. If you poke around in the settings there are ways to have it not do this, but to be honest I have not played with it enough to figure that part out. As my system is a desktop I simply leave it on 24/7 now and it has become my file server for the house. But for a laptop I understand that is not acceptable.

Hopefully someone else can point you into the right direction on how to solve the problem... but this is most likely what the problem is.

on most laptop you have top use the fn key to switch from onboard to tv or both. i would see if the laptop has a hard reset keystroke in case it lock up in sleep mode. if it still wont post pull the battery and ac power from it..fip the unit over and check that the ram on the mb is seated. let the laptop sit underpowered for 20 min and see if it reset. with three year old laptops..it could be that the ac brick not outputting the full voltage to turn the laptop on. see if a local computer store or a friend has a spare ac brick to try. if a new brick does not work then it something on the mb that has gone bad. things that can hang a laptop from posting..a hard drive that kicks the bucket...video chipset failure or fan failure on the cpu. one thing that looks like a mb issue is when the back light on the lcd screen goes bad.get no output on the screen.

cakeluv

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I tried to do the hard reset by removing the power, the battery and then holding the power button for 60 seconds. I connected the power cable and it still didnt work when I powered it on. Gonna check the insides now.