Need source for brass fitting

BigDav

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I have purchased an oil cooler (see link below) for use in my GPU/CPU single pump loop.
I'm looking for a challenge here, not wanting to just purchase bolt-on stuff, besides, this
thing cools REALLY well :love:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/15302/10002/-1?parentProductId=1335934

I'm a plumber by trade so brazing/soldering work is no problem.

The copper tubes (1/2" OD) on the cooler are now straight. I need to elbow them downward (it's going in the top of case)
and end up with female G1/4 threads for standard water cooling fittings (using 1/2id X 3/4od Tygon).

I know I'll be able to paint (black) whatever brass or copper fitting that I end up using and then use
Bitspower comp. fittings in the G1/4 threads.

I've looked (on-line) til my eyes burn & hit every hardware store I pass, but so far, no luck :(

What I think will work is a brass elbow with a hole smaller than 1/2, so I can drill it to snugly fit the tubes
of the "rad" and have G1/4 female threads OR at least give me the bulk to tap the G1/4 threads myself.

Any suggestions or direct links to sources would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
BigDav

Don't know if this will help or not, G 1/4 with a couple wraps of teflon works fine with 3/8 NPT
SDC10467.jpg

BigDav

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for your reply delluser1

Right now, the oil cooler has 1/2 tygon clamped to the copper tubes, but it's really ugly!
DSC00267.jpg

I think I'm gonna try and drill out the male threads on this extention fitting, clean off the finish to bare brass and solder two of them to
the 1/2OD tubes of the oil cooler, then of course paint it all black again.
BP-MBWP-C63_01.jpg

With the female threads in place, I can then just screw in some 90 degree elbows to point towards
the bottom of the case. I'm working on sleeving & re-wiring the whole case right now, my orders should
arrive tomorrow. Once the wiring is done, I'll order the extensions and post pics of results

Inside the valleys of the G1/4 thread measures .473".
Don't see that working unless you cut off the male threads completely, drill into the female threads and use the extension as a sweat to IP coupling.

Or, I'm all screwed up and that's what you meant.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OP...looks almost identical to an oil cooler I ran for a while before I went with my dual rads. To be honest, adding my dual MCR320's actually cool much better than that oil cooler, and here's why:

Most watercooling rads use thing, oval/thin rectangular tubes in parallel runs down each side of the rad. I'd estimate 8-10 tubes per side of rad, each direction. In those oil coolers, you have a single, 1/2" tube that runs between 6-10 runs throughout the entire cooler. Now, that being said, the tubes inside a radiator have more surface area for the water to contact the walls of the cooler directly, where as the oil cooler has perfectly round tubes; most of the water runs through the middle of the tube. You'd have less surface area for your water to make contact in that oil cooler as it moves through the entire run, vs that of a traditional WC rad.

Don't get me wrong...I like your idea (mostly because I also had one almost identical to that). But, you'll see better performance with other options. You also might want to consider looking inside the tubing of that cooler, mine had a long strip of aluminum inside that was meant to help the flow of oil/coolant...you'll definitely want to remove this...aluminium and copper do not play well in a watercooling environment.

Oil cooler (also a Derale, like yours)
IMG_2983.jpg

Current rad setup
IMG_1520.jpg

BigDav

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
use the extension as a sweat to IP coupling

That's my plan delluser 1, cutting off the male threads should allow me to put the extension in a drill press and drill out a nice tight socket
about 1/4" deep, for the copper tubes to be sweat soldered up & painted black ;)

You also might want to consider looking inside the tubing of that cooler, mine had a long strip of aluminum inside that was meant to help the flow of oil/coolant...you'll definitely want to remove this...aluminium and copper do not play well in a watercooling environment.

Thanks rubix, the aluminum thing will be checked out asap. As far as performance goes, my rig needs to be quiet before all else.
I went to water to get rid of as many fans as possible. My son OCs this rig while gaming on it (multiple BIOS), but it also runs an entertainment
center on a 46" flat screen.