OpenGL Programs Load in Safe Mode, but not Normal Mode?

jasumi

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I booted up Poser in Safe Mode and it works. Yet, everytime I try to boot it (or any other OpenGL program) in Normal Mode I get a system freeze.

What are the differences between Safe Mode and Normal Mode? Could it be that Safe Mode uses less exe files?

My System:
E8400 @ 3.0ghz
Sony DVD-RW
Western Digital 500gb HDD
HIS Radeon HD3870x2
Patriot 4gb @ 800mhx 4-4-4-12
Gigabyte DS3L
Rosewill 600w
Raidmax Smilodon
Windows Vista x64

I have Catalyst 8.8 drivers. Anything newer than that results in a system crash.

An operating system in safe mode will have reduced functionality, but the task of isolating problems is easier because many non-core components are disabled (turned off). An installation that will only boot into its safe mode typically has a major problem, such as disk corruption or the installation of poorly configured software that prevents the operating system from successfully booting into its normal operating mode.
Though it varies by operating system, typically safe mode loads as few executable modules as possible and usually disables devices, except for the minimum necessary to display information and accept input. Safe mode can also take the form of a parallel "miniature" operating system that has no configuration information shared with the normal operating system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_mode