Advice needed for small SS OS drive, then adding a raid 0 combo later

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
My order is on the way and I want to be pre armed before I install my first SS disk.

Basically I am using a small SS disk for the OS and program files.

Then in a week or so I will be adding 2 regular hard drives in raid 0 config. (total of 4tb.)

Questions:

1: Is it possible for me to add a raid 0 config after setting up Windows 7 on the SS disk? Or will it have to be configured with all 3 disks at the same time.

Initial build:

WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT
MB ASUS| M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 880G
MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
SSD 64G|CRUC CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1
CPU AMD|PH II X6 1100T 3.3G AM3

2: What are my first steps to get the SS disk running as fast as possible with all of the features of my motherboard/Win 7? (without overclocking)

3: When I come to install the other 2 drives in a raid 0 config, what do I have to do to make sure it does not mess up my boot OS SSD? What do I set each raid drive at as regards to slave and master? What typical setting do I change in bios to leave the SS drive as the boot OS and the 2 raid 0 drives to be regular storage?

Most links involve setting up the OS on the raid drive. Mine is a little different since I read that loading the OS and programs is faster on SS. And editing sequential data is faster on raid 0. Or have I got that wrong?

The PC will be for video editing. So I figure the raid 0 config will be great for the huge video files I will be compiling, and the SS disk will be good for regular program launching and windows land stuff.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

thefyn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Oh yeah, is this the fastest drive that my motherboard supports in features?

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I presume some drives with the same specs can be marginally faster, but is there a different cache, rpm, 6.0gb/s etc etc that are better?