Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
New build:

i7 920
Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5
3 x Corsair 1333 2GB
NVidia 9500
500W PSU

Black screen (not "no input detected") after power on. LED post code changes a few times and always stops on "b2" or "62" (can't tell which, neither are in the manual). This system has never successfully loaded the BIOS.

After power button is pressed everything turns on and appears to have power.

Both motherboard power connectors are plugged in.

Tested the PSU and GPU on other machines and they work.

Tried two different monitors (VGA & DVI) on both connectors.

Tried the same as above with a different graphics card (NVidia 8600) .

Tried every permutation of RAM (with 1, 2 or 3 sticks in all 6 slots) possible.

Tried booting without DVD and/or hard disk drives.

I can't test the RAM or CPU on another system since I don't have any other X58 motherboards available.

I am really close to RMAing both the CPU and motherboard. I have a feeling it is the motherboard though. By the time I get a new motherboard though, it'll be too late to RMA the CPU if it was just the CPU or both the motherboard and CPU that were defective.

I'm not new to building systems and have read every generic "my system won't boot" thread that looked worth reading.

I've also googled extensively for specific problems with this particular hardware.

So, anyone have any advice before I RMA the CPU and motherboard (>$500 worth)?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Have you just tried to clearn CMOS yet? You didn't specify if you had or not. Clearing CMOS is the first thing I'd try if you haven't. I've had this problem several times when I had built my new computer, and it was always because of a stupid RAM setting in BIOS. My system is an AM2+ PhenomII system though. But if I set my BIOS to use the EPP settings on my OCZ RAM then my computer would do the same thing your's is doing and I'd have to clear CMOS. My board also had loaded BIOS fine the first time too so I'm not sure if clearing CMOS will help you, but it's the only thing I can think of right now lol.

TRENDING THREADS