Sign in with
Your question

Please Help me to build my development machine

Last response: in Motherboards
December 2, 2009 8:26:17 AM

Hi
I am planning to build a machine for my ASP.Net development with Visual Studio and SQL Server. I may use Photoshop as well (Once in a while).

I have decided to go for Intel Core I7, But I really no idea how to proceed further. I have not upgraded my motherboard for 5 years. Just upgraded memory and now it is hanging while building.

So the plan is to build right from the scratch, I am interested to procure everything from NewEgg so any links will be greatly helpful.

Processor :
Core I7 920: Please suggest if need to be changed

Mother Board :
Not decided but ASUS P6T7 WS SUPERCOMPUTER looks promising

Memory :
Either 6 GB tri channel or 12GB (is it really required that much please advice)

Graphics Card :
I don’t play games but use Photoshop and watch movies once in a while so HDMI support will be great.

Hard Disk :
Since the IO operations will be extensive while compiling, I would like to go for SSD with 32 GB or 64 GB and the media files and the rest will be in a seperate 10K RPM SATA hard disk.

CPU Heat Sink :
Can the stock heat sink supplied with Processor enough. I don’t over clock.

Casing :
No fancy model is required but it should be sturdy and good enough to hold all components with good air flow. Please consider performance here.

Experts please list the model numbers i will check newegg and update the particulars for further analysis.

Thank you for your time to read and help me to build my developement rig.
a c 227 V Motherboard
December 2, 2009 3:30:55 PM

-CPU - You're good but considering it's overclocking ability it's almost a shame not to do moderate OC'ing.

-MoBo - You're good, amazing Board....here's one you might want to consider as an alternate since you won';t be installing 4 gaming GFX cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-Memory - Go to newegg site and drill down from

Computer Hardware
Memory
240 pin DDR3
Desktop Memory DDR3-1600
6GB (3 x 2GB)
CAS Latency 7

If what you see on the list fits your budget, pick the lowest price set from a brand you are comfy with. If not move to CAS 8 .... and to 9 is budget demands.

-Hard Drives - Consider SAS drives since board (as wella s alternate I suggested) can handle them; hi rpm SAS rock for quick loading of images and heavy I/O work. Also might want to consider an SSD for OS drive.

-GFX Cards - Pick one based on budget http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,...

-CPU Heatsink - Stock HS is fine but, since lower heat = longer, life I always go aftermarket. Suggest Megahalems w/ maximum of 1200 rpm fan

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu-pro-01/Proli...

Casing / PSU - Given the quality of your components, I think you want a good, sturdy cool case and a well regulated PSU.

Two choices in the quality tier of the rest of your build:

Antec 1200 w/ Antec SG-650 PSU
CM HAF932 w/ Corsair HX-650 PSU

But again, your MoBo had lotta GFX capability so you may wanna at least move up to a bigger PSU in case you ever want to game . The Antec CP-850 gives top tier quality at bargain price.

No optical drive ?

Plextor 320SA if don't need Blue Ray write capability 940SA if you do

Card Reader for camera photos ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 2, 2009 11:48:56 PM

Hi Jack

Excellent response. Thank you so much for your help.

After I have submitted the query I researched few more places and as you suggested there are two alternatives for WorkStation boards from ASUS
Since I don’t use much PCIe (except for graphics) either I can go for
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution

Or
ASUS P6T6 WS Pro

Do you feel pro will not be good for my requirements? Why I am thinking about p6ts ws pro is because of I don’t really use more than 1 PCIe. I am planning to use on board audio. Please correct me if I am wrong

As per your suggestion, after analysis I figured one Graphic card which may suite me well. That is XFX GT220XZNF2 GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Regarding the memory
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit with CAS Latency: 9 (thank you for your advice on CAS latency)

Regarding Hard Drives
I am quiet new to SAS (frankly speaking I am reading now to learn what is it). I have been using SATA 10k RPM for years. Earlier I was planning to go for SSD at least for my OS, Visual Studio, MS-SQl Server, and the programs. I am currently planning to go for either 32GB or 64 GB. Then the rest can be either my existing 500GB SATA 10k RPM or I will purchase a new one.

*******************************************************************************************************
So far the updated new system as advised by jack

Processor:
Core I7 920[confirmed]

Mother Board:
Not decided but ASUS P6T7 WS SUPERCOMPUTER looks promising
Either P6T6 Ws PRO or P6T6 Ws Revolution

Memory:
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit with CAS Latency: 9

Graphics Card:
XFX GT220XZNF2 GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Hard Disk:

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk
Reading on SAS to figure out which one is better.

CPU Heat Sink:
Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 120mm (jack this looks pricy at 77USD. is it still recommended)

Casing:
CM HAF932 w/ Corsair HX-650 PSU Looks good

Optical drive [thanks jack for pointing out the missed item from the list]
I am thinking about retaining my old DVD writer. If I need blu ray I will think about the models in new egg
Related resources
December 11, 2009 2:25:35 AM

i dont think you need such a pricey hsf, but you may want to oc you cpu a little, since its so good 4 that
a c 227 V Motherboard
December 12, 2009 10:31:26 PM

I just finished a stability test @ 4.3 GHz on the Magahalems today .... hit 69C on Core 1 .... 1.35volts
!