Intel Raid Smart Event won't go away

Ken L

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I have Windows7 running a RAID5 array with 3 1TB WD Caviar Black drives; Gigabyte MB P55A-UD4P. One of the drives regularly gets a SMART event warning, another on occassion. I can reset the drive in the Intel utility to clear the error but it will soon come back. I changed the hard drive - same result on same member; changed the cable - same result, changed the port - same result. Some of the 3 member disks are SATA 2 and some SATA 3, but all are set to run as SATA 2;I had suspected a timing error but it is too consistent and occurs with both SATA types; always the middle drive of the array and sometimes others.

Is this a defective motherboard or any other suggestions?

Ken L

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Although I don't know if I've solved the problem, I can advise it is significantly better.

First I downloaded the Western Digital disk test utility and the drives all passed with zero errors but still gave SMART event errors in the RAID array.

What seems to have made it better is I stopped the powersave feature so the system would not hibernate. I'm guessing the disks powered down but the RAID controller didn't know about it and when it called for action a RAID drive was too slow to respond and an error was registered. I haven't had an error in over a week but used to get them regularly (even when the system was not hibernating). I can't explain why but it is better.

WerdC

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I am having a problem understanding what I will need to check my driver to make sure that it is fine. I have images of the problem with the driver, but I do not know what I will need to download from my software holder, to make sure I get everything checked right.