M4A79T-Deluxe & Win7 64 Bit

pawpaw

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hi all . Well, like many others, I am having problems , with this setup. Here is my Comp:
Asus m4A79T-Deluxe MB
AMD Phenom II X3 Black Processor
XFXGeForce 7200GS Video Card
2-500Gig. Hatichi HDs, wanted to set up as Raid 1
1-1TB WD HD, for storage
3 2Gig Sticks DDR3-2000 Kingston Ram
Win 7 64-bit Pro
2 DVD/CD Drives

When attempting to install Win 7, error message : Cannot find driver for DVD/CD. Created a bootable USB 4Gig, , with win 7 on it , as per suggestions found elsewhere.
Finally got 7 installed.( I think from the DVD, but had the USB plugged in , also.
None of the MB drivers , on the Asus CD worked , with 7 , so went to Asus & D/l all that seemed pertinent .
One, the AMD AHCI RAID_V311540127 , has only a create disk option for XP & Vista. The Win 7 files are : 2- x64 files , & 1 x86 .SYS files. From what I've read elsewhere, These must be installed at the beginning of the Win 7 install, which means starting over. O.K. I can do that. However , others say the files are not Digitally signed & win 7 won't install them. And , which TO install, the x64 ,or x86 ?
The drive with win 7 on it now: How do I re-format it? I have disks for WD IDE drives , for Seagate , and Maxtor, but nothing for Hatichi SATA drives.
Also, I updated the BIOS , on the MB, one step at a time, from the origonal Version , something like 0768, all the way to the latest version, 2002.
I have all the MB files for Win 7 , now in a single file , that I can write to a CD, for the new install.
Is there any particular order that they need to be installed in ?
I also copied the AMD AHCI RAID_V311540127 file to floppy, on another machine , and then installed a floppy drive on the new comp.
I want to create a RAID 1 setup, on this comp. , and I understand that has to be done at the beginning of the install, however, how do I do so , if 7 won't install the AMD AHCI RAID_V311540127 files , because they are not Digitally Signed?
I posted these Questions on ASUSes Forum , but have recieved no answers yet. This community is my next hope !
Any Help will be appreciated !

See your motherboard manual on how to setup RAID 1.
Windows 7 may already have your RAID drivers present. Not sure.
Accept the screen that says that they are not digitally signed and continue the installation if the drivers are required.
Use 64-bit drivers if your version of Windows 7 is 64-bit.

pawpaw

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid the manual is no help. Believe me, I've looked. Here is the latest: I took the 2 HDDs out , reformatted them in another comp. , that also is running Win 7. I did not assign a drive letter to either. I then put them back into my problem comp. , set the Bios to RAID 1 , Set the adapter(2nd screen in Bios), to create a RAID1 array, then tried to Re-install Win7. Install said it could not find Any HDDs , then asked me to install device driver. It would not accept the .SYS file from the floppy I created,which is supposed to be the correct driver. Says it is not digitally signed. After many fruitless hours of searching the internet, and finding nothing that would help, I called Microsoft support. After about an hour on the phone with them , I was finally told they didn't have a clue, since my problem was only related to a RAID setup, and the only choice left , was Paid Tech. help, at a cost of $249.00. No way ! By changing the Bios (1st screen), to AHCI , Win 7 saw both drives , but would only install to 1. That is where I am now. I installed to the 1st HDD, but when I go back into the Bios , and change it back to RAID , Win 7 won't start, and cannot repair. Furthermore , it cannot SEE either HDD, and again asks for a device driver. And , again , it will not accept the driver, because it is not digitally signed. (SIGH !)

dew0366

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hi there, as I read your article I must say it is interesting but sounds like a minor issue. One that I have encountered before and was successful at solving. If you have'nt already done so, maybe try switching out the hdd ribon, or even change the position of it. It sound corney but, it worked for me. I hope you solve your issue, it is something minor that you might be overlooking.

pawpaw

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

Thanks for the reply. Both ars SATA , so no ribbon cable is installed. If 7 "Sees" them, when configured as AHCI , or IDE, and I can access both, in either of those configurations ,I do not think it's the cable. But Thanks, anyway.

pawpaw

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
HOORAY ! 12/16/09
After posting this problem , on many help sites, I re-checked the Asus website, ( after a prompt by a MS Moderator ), and it seems they updated the Critical file needed, to set up a RAID1 system. It took re-downloading the same file, AMD AHCI RAID_V311540127, packaged with another version of that file, copying it to the USB drive, pointing Win 7 to it ( mutiple times, so many I can't remember), while I had the Win 7 install disc in one DVD drive, the Excutible Win 7 on another USB drive,This file on a second USB dive, numerous start overs, including win 7 finding one disk , but telling me it couldn't install to that disk,then that disk disappearing again, re-running the same file a second time(that session) , and then it FINALLY, I say FINALLY, found the 2nd disk, and installed to it !!!!! Since it was set up in Bios as RAID1 , it configured to Mirror to both disks. ( I think). Anyway, in Sys. Config., only one disk shows up ! HOORAY !! Oh, yeah, it was the VISTA version that FINALLY installed. The Win 7 , and XP versions, wouldn't work.In the NEW D/L file, you have to navigate to the folder, open it, select driver(I think), open the Vista file, point to the x64 file ( I was installing Win 7 Pro 64 Bit), and then , refuse to take no for an answer. Keep pointing to it, don't shut the comp. down, and (I left it on overnight) , presevere.