dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
AMD 965BE
Antec 300 Case

When I built my machine, I just went ahead and put the stock AMD heat sink & fan on with my processor. Didn't really think twice about it. Figured it was good enough. I'm really starting to regret that decision now. When I get my machine at a pretty good load, I have some serious fan noise. At first, I thought it had to be my video card, but it turns out that it's my processor fan and it's WAY TOO LOUD. This isn't a bearing or mechanical interference noise, it's just RPM humming.

Actually, my temps are OK. I'm not really concerned with that. I'm not OC'ing and I am not looking to spend crazy money on the "best". I'm just looking for a solid HSF at a solid price that's nice and quiet. I've been looking around and reading up on the CM 212+. Seems like it's pretty popular choice.

I have two questions:

1) Am I experiencing something abnormal with this problem? Are the stock AM3 fans known for this problem or do I just need a replacement fan for my heat sink?

2) If I do need to replace, can anyone comment on how well the CM 212+ performs in the noise category?