Router keeps on freezing my browser page

killkid

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Hello, well for the past few months our belkin wireless router has been freezing our web browser (as in it cannot connect to any websites just a blank page) this happens to all pc/laptops on the network. It only happened when we upgraded to 20mg broadband, and when the internet browser freezes can we still connect to things like MSN, Online Games but just not to the web browser like IE or Firefox etc. Am the only 1 connected via a Ethernet cable and i still get the problem. We overcome the problem by restarting the router, a friend of mine says i could be something to do with the DNS, however am not sure. Our belkin model is a Belkin F5D7231-4 and we have a new virgin media modem any help would be appreciated. ty

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Do you still have this problem if you plug the virgin media modem direct into the PC? i.e bypass the router, it's posible there is noise on the line and vigin fit filters before the modem to counter it.

do all PCs get it at the same time?

killkid

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
i have no been able to try connecting it just to the modem as everyone uses internet all day for work. And most of the time all pc's get it roughly at the same time yes.

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Okay, well until you can bypass the router, there is not a sure fire way of saying if it's the ISP or the hardware your using. Did Vigin upgrade the modem also? this could also be the fault.

By using the default settings on router with the most upto date firmware - it can only be a fault in the design of the product (and hense should be in the designers known issues for that product) I doubt this is the case.

You could have a damaged product but again unlikley if it was working before the ISP upgrade (unless engineer broke it)

Only ways to proceed now are, 1) take a guess and replace the router (may be waste of money if it's ISP) or 2) confirm router/modem/ISP by bypassing router.

But maybe someone else will post with some different advice.

Good luck

V

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-Your friend gave a good point, your DNS server could be the problem, if your internet works but your websites dont, DNS could be at fault, its not resolving your URL properly. Try a different DNS server.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well, just for your info, there is already service pack 3 FYI, just saying.
-and here is how to change it:
1. Open Start>Control Panel
2. Make sure classic view is on.
3. Open "Network Connections"
4. If you connection is hardwired then find "Local Area Connection" if its wireless then find "Wireless Network Connection". Whichever one it is, choose it, then right click on it then select "Properties."
5. Then inside the box find where it says "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) " sometimes it can also say Version 4 or 6 next to it, in that case make sure its version 4, if you dont have that then dont worry about it.
6.Click on that and then select properties, a new window will pop up and on the bottom you can change your DNS, google dns servers, there are tons of them out there, free ones :) enjoy,
-ask if you have any questions/