Processor temp problems

m610

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I've got a 3.25GHz Pentium D in my Intel D955XBK motherboard. I've had the system for a couple of years (home-built) and recently had a hard drive failure. System drive, naturally. After the rebuld I started looking into the cooling issues. My case is an older style full tower and has two 90 mm fans plus the power supply fan.

I now see that I have a processor temperature problem. The temperature normally hovers in the 60-68C range, but bumps to well over 70C, the recommended limit, frequently. So I went out and bought a new heat sink but the temperatures are the same. The only difference now is that the fan runs slower. It looks like the system is fighting my efforts to help it out and that it tries to keep the processor temperature at 60C.

Experimenting, I had the cover of the case off and I had a house fan blowing room air over the motherboard and the processor temperatures still haven't come down. The temperature in the case is at room temperature, which varies throughout the day between 25C and 32C. But at least this rules out the problem being a case ventilation or temperature problem. Case temperatures are supposed to stay below 38C. Processor temps did not improve.

I closed up the case closed again after installing two more 90 mm fans in it. I used a hole saw and mounted them in the side and they pull air in and blows it straight onto the part of the motherboard where the CPU is mounted. The other fan is mounted at the top to help the other case fan pull air out of the case. Room temperature is currently 25C, board temperatures are 44C and 35C, and the processor temperature is 60C. But, the processor fan is now running under 900 rpm! Why???? Is this CPU really supposed to maintain its temperature at 60C???? When I launch my browser the temperature shoots up to 70-71C before the fan comes up to around 1600 rpm, bringing the temperature back down to the low 60sC again. 70C is the operating maximum for this CPU.

I'm seriously thinking of cutting the 4th wire running to the processor fan. This is the PWM wire that controls the fan speed on 4-wire fans. With it cut the fan should run at full speed. I've got a 3-wire fan plugged into a 4-wire jack and that's what that fan is doing. Its running at around 3600 RPM. I'm fine with that.

Has anyone done this before?

Any why does my CPU fan run so slow?

Is there a way I can speed up the processor fan? I can't find a BIOS setting for this. The BIOS only lets me view the hardware sensor settings.

m610

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
The CPU fan has a 4-pin connector.

Are you suggesting that the connector on the motherboard is broken? That doesn't seem right or else the fan probably wouldn't run at all.

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
hi so the fact is you dont have to worry at all my friend it will not destroy the cpu just short its lifetime i have a i7 intel tels the temperatures are 68,9C max but i am runnin it on 80C at prime 95 non overclocked so what ju can do is to rebuild your fan and if you have the intel stocked cooler put him on with new cream (i dont know the real name of it ) for cpus comes with new coolers and before you put it on the mobo take the cpu out and see if maybe some pins are burned put it back and easiliy install the cooler it has to be right cause at first if you do wrong it will work good but in 2weeks or like that it will start again having temp probs .
second reinstal your graphic card could eventually help if not lower your cpu speed. lower temp^^ but also slower
a question have you overclocked your cpu?

hope this could help
regards laluma22

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I can agree with the molex converter idea. Because if you can get a converter and avoid the motherboard, that should force the fan to run full speed at all times. I know on my board with my amd, I disabled a setting in the bios for auto fan speed, and so the fan runs I think at 3200 rpms, give or take. So it should be running higher than 900 rpms.

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
hi its me again i just remembered what could help you set your voltage down
this will not take your performance so you can just simply lower the voltage
and because you have a intel mobo you first have to disable watchdog!

hope i could help greets laluma22 :bounce:

didn't i just teach you about that. :lol:

anyways yes under volting will help the temps without losing performance. Just dont do drastic drops in volts. just go in small increments until you satisfied with the temps or if you get to a point to where windows does not boot then increase the volts until windows will boot again. then you'll have your lowest operational voltage.

Hope this helps.

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

yes you did :p

m610

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. The idea of a cantered heat sink sounds interesting. It would explain in part when this is a relatively recent problem, and not just a summer heat problem. I'll look into this.

I can't see how the bracket described on the sidewinders site could be fit over the fan/heat sink or over the square part that presses up against the CPU. It seem like that should be a two-part bracket somehow.

But, being too hot is one problem, but the low fan speed still doesn't make sense. The fan speed changes when the temperature rises, but under normal operation to spins just fast enough to keep the temperature at 60C. Even with lower room temperatures the MB keeps the fan at 60C by dropping the fan speed even more.

If the fan voltage is too low, I guess that means something is wrong with my mother board since the voltages are l within spec.

drdccd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
hello,,,
i have the same problem,,,(+60 C) temp although the room temp NEVER EXCEED 30.

Did u use Everest to measure ur computer (mobo,CPU,GPU) temp and fans...?

Did u sense the temp of the heat sink it self (by ur fingers)?

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
ehm i still sugesst to lower you cpu voltage ( yo do not loss yur performance with lowerin voltage go in slow steps and you should be able to slow your temp up to 10-15 C)

greets laluma22