Ivar Talot

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Hi there. I'm looking to buy parts for a computer.

Primary purpose: Digital photography - processing 10 megapixel raw files in photosop CS3. Secondary purposes: net browsing, wordprocessing, other low-performance useage. I am not a gamer, so fancy 3D graphics and rendering is not required.

I'm looking to buy a case, motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, DVD burner, OS. By budget is $800 Canadian dollars. My preferred parts provider is Memory Express (www.memoryexpress.com). They have a shop just down the street.

I already have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, 24" high-end screen with 1920x1200 resolution.

I currently have a 2004 or 2005-ish vintage computer with an AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton processor and 1 gig of memory, Windows XP pro. It's been running just great but it's pretty slow processing 10 megapixel photos in CS3. Also, I often have multiple applications open at the same time (CS3, Adobe Bridge, windows media player playing mp3s, Firefox). My system then starts to swap a lot, and I could use more memory.

In the future I may be editing video - they are adding video to the new generation of DSLRs and I'm keep to play around with that.

I don't keep up much with hardware, and just with a bit of googling I came up with the following parts list:
- AMD phenom II X4 940 3 GHz with 8 Mb cache -CPU $230
- Kingston HyperX 4Gb PC2-8500 CL7 memory chipset $80
- Asus M3A78-CM w/ Radeon HD 3100, DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E board - $95
- Case with 380W power supply and fans, about $110
- Windows Vista 64 bit home edition, $130
- 1 terabyte SATA hard drive $100
- LG DVD burner $30
grand total about $790.

This is going the AMD route. I don't think there's money in the budget for an i7 or AM3/ddr3 system.

Will these components work together? What to expect? Better options for the buck?
Do I need a video card? My previous experience with onboard video hasn't been great but that was with 2005 vintage gear.

Advice and suggestions much appreciated!

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Except for the "Case with 380W power supply and fans, about $110". Be very carfeul here.

You want a brand name PSU above anything else, otherwise you're putting youre entire system at risk.

i.e.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.198951

You are doing well to get a quad-core for your PSing needs, and the 940 is AM2+ socket anyway so you don't have the DDR3 option.

Drop Vista, no reason to buy it now. Get Windows 7 RC free until next March. I'd use that savings to get two WD 640 GB Black HDDs in Raid 0 and a WD 1TB Black HDD in an external inclosure for backing up your files. That would only add 20$ to the above build.

Ivar Talot

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Update. Here's the computer I built.

AMD PhenomII X2 550
Asus M4A78T-E
Corsair 2x2 Gb XMS3 1333 DDR3
Antec Sonata, 500 W
Seagate 500 Gb
Vista Home Premium x64

So....

I decided on dual core since my main CPU hog, Photoshop CS3, is not multi-threaded and the number of cores don't matter. If I upgrade the CS4 (or higher) in the future, I could buy a four-core (or eight or sixteen) CPU. Or I could try to unlock the other two cores on my chip.

I decided on AMD3/DDR3 architecture for future compatibility. Memory cost a tad more, but not a deal-breaker.

Got the Caddilac case. Good tip - I love it. Nice n quiet.

Operating system. I started with Win 7 RC. Very fast boot times and Photoshop CS3 ran well. HOWEVER I got very frequent crashes. Sometimes it crashed during booting, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 1 hour, somtimes when idling, sometimes when maxed out. Memory and disk checked out ok, I updated all the drivers. Still crashing. I got frustrated, ran to the store, and bought Vista. Vista was unstable out of the box as well, but with SP2 it seems to run quite happily, knock on wood.

I was keen on Win 7 RC, but it seems that hardware/OS/software of the same vintage works the best.... Besides there doesn't seem to be a whole lotta difference between Vista and 7, besides looks.

I'm happy with the system - it's an order of magnitude faster than my old system. No more swapping. When my applications are loaded I tend to use 2-2.5 Gigs of memory. Makes me wonder how I made do with 1 gig of RAM.