Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a virus transfer from 1 hd to another?

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2011 3:34:42 AM

Hello,
I wanted to know if a virus on one hard drive can transfer to another hard drive if plugged in to the same computer. I want to know this because I am running out of space on my current hard drive and I found a hard drive just laying around the other day but I can't remember if it was there because it had a virus on it or if it was just one I bought and was too lazy to put it in my computer, so I didn't want to take a risk of getting a virus on my current hard drive. I won't be transfering any files unless I know for sure it doesn't have a virus so how could I test it for a virus if I can plug it in without risking getting one?

More about : virus transfer

a b G Storage
February 19, 2011 3:45:23 AM

Not that I know of. A virus just like any other program needs to be ran. If you put it in your machine and format right away, you should be fine.

What I'm not sure of is if there is anything in windows that might trigger the virus. Some sort of file indexer or autorun? It will probably depend on the virus. It most likely will require you to double click an EXE, so odds are you are safe. I say try it, and if you need to run your anti virus program.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 19, 2011 3:53:55 AM

Yes it's possible if the virus is autorun or in the mbr.
Download Malwarebytes and update it.
As soon as you've hooked up the drive and your pc has identified go to safemode.
Do a full scan of the new drive.
Related resources
February 19, 2011 4:19:33 AM

Hi,
Yes it's possible ..if you attached in same computer and copy some infected data to other drive and run program.
That's the possible your another drive will be infected....!
m
l
February 19, 2011 8:08:54 PM

Best answer selected by joe12o.
m
l
!