Securing a chassis with a custom lock

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Thermaltake produced some cases with security locks that can be only opened with keys. Unfortunately not all of the cases are secure.

I know that if someone wants to get to the hardware inside they can break the whole thing if it is locked but I think having a lock is better since I'll be sure that nobody touched my hardware while I was gone as long as the case lock is intact.

the Thermaltake Spedo Advanced case isn't secure even though it is "ADVANCED"... so I started thinking about custom locks... maybe there exists some sort of case screws with locking mechanism or there may be some possibility to alter the case in some way and install a 4-digits metal lock...

i donno... just tell me whatever comes to your mind... any suggestion is welcome.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I know most Lian-Li cases come with spaces for pad locks, and their doors can usually be locked via a key. Trouble is, if the thief has a dremel then they can just do it that way.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I've already bought an expensive case... am not interesting in buying another one.

I just need to find a way to secure it with a reasonable price.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Cheapest solution, if u dare, is to simply align ur lock to where u want it on your case (back and left side panel), mark some holds and, use a normal drill.

daship

Distinguished
Pop the srews out and shoot in some rivets. Rivets will have to be drilled. I really doubt anyone gives a *** whats inside your computer, especially enough to steal it.

If their gonna steal anything they might as well steal the whole damn thing.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005

This is interesting... this is really interesting... love the 1st product in the 3rd link cheap and does the job but...
isn't that type of lock easy to pick :??:

EDIT: BTW thanx guys but please don't offer me permanent solutions coz I don't want to lock it up for life.

and then opening it at their leisure at their place with all of their tools, though it wouldn't take too much

Blade9030

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
use a car alram and hook it up to a closed cirkit that has you comp on it and when people touch it and disrupt it the alrm goes off and scarys the poo out of them