Sign in with
Your question

RAID frustration ... am I doing it wrong?

Last response: in Storage
February 19, 2011 11:43:38 AM

I have three separate external RAID enclosures, holding TBs worth of digital images.

Each is a SansDigital TR2UT enclosure, with 2 WesternDigital 2TB drives configured as RAID0, eSata. I'm running Vista 64.

And I've had intermittent failures on each one. Sometimes the drives, sometimes the enclosure itself. Recovering from a failure can take days, and I'm tired of it.

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution to the above problem here--which I realize might just be my choice of hardware--but hoping for suggestions of a better setup. I'm willing to start over with something more robust.

QUESTION 1:

If I go for a larger enclosure, is it possible to devote 2 drives to one volume, and 2 drives to another volume?
I know I could set up 4 disks with RAID0 and partition into multiple volumes, but I'm concerned that if a disk fails I lose access to everything during the rebuild.

QUESTION 2:

Should give up on the external eSata and go NAS?

QUESTION 3:

Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

More about : raid frustration wrong

a b G Storage
February 19, 2011 6:03:10 PM

Atomische said:

QUESTION 1:

If I go for a larger enclosure, is it possible to devote 2 drives to one volume, and 2 drives to another volume?
I know I could set up 4 disks with RAID0 and partition into multiple volumes, but I'm concerned that if a disk fails I lose access to everything during the rebuild.

QUESTION 2:

QUESTION 3:

Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

some more questions you need to answer to get best response.

1) what is the use of this system
2)do you do backups
3)what is the performance needed from this system (and size needed)
4) you do know with raid 0 there is no recovery when one drive fails everything is gone?

Without having those answers I would suggest a small nas/fileserver type solution
backing up frequently.

March 3, 2011 2:58:15 AM

1842078,1,831253 said:
I have three separate external RAID enclosures, holding TBs worth of digital images.

Each is a SansDigital TR2UT enclosure, with 2 WesternDigital 2TB drives configured as RAID0, eSata. I'm running Vista 64.

And I've had intermittent failures on each one. Sometimes the drives, sometimes the enclosure itself. Recovering from a failure can take days, and I'm tired of it.

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution to the above problem here--which I realize might just be my choice of hardware--but hoping for suggestions of a better setup. I'm willing to start over with something more robust.

QUESTION 1:

QUESTION 2:

QUESTION 3:

Am I thinking about this completely wrong?[/quotemsg]

Yes, you are. Hard drives will always fail - it's not a matter of if - it's a matter of when. You should burn your images to bl5GB ray discs. A blu ray disc holds 25GB of data and if bought in sufficient quantity, cost $2-3 each. If the discs are kept in a cool dry place, they will last for years, maybe decades. I would not trust any hard drive after 5 years.

!