Sign in with
Your question

New Build Problem: No post beeps..no nothing.

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2009 10:56:44 PM

Having what I believe is a PSU or MoBo issues new HTPC build. This is my second build, my first was a gaming rig, as they say around here, and it went smoothly due to this forum.

After assembling the components in the case, I plugged the PSU in the wall outlet and the only response I got was that a red power light of the internal card reader went on (it is connected w/ USB). Otherwise, there was no POST beeps (I have a motherboard speaker from CWC), no CPU fan, no video, and no PSU fan.

Assumed I had a bad PSU, so I did the paper clip test and the PSU did not respond. So I got a second PSU, which, when installed, did not change the situation. So I did the paper clip test on the second PSU and the PSU did not respond. So now I’m thinking:

1. I don’t know how to do the paper clip test though it seems straight forward enough (or maybe faulty paperclips).
2. I have two bad PSU (and bad luck)
3. The motherboard in bad.

My troubleshooting follows shortstuff_mt’s and jsc’s recommendations, as I understand them. At it’s most basic, I have MoBo on the bag it is comes in on a wood table with PSU plugged into the MoBo connector and the CPU connector, the CPU fan plugged into the MoBo, motherboard speaker and card reader attached. With this set up I get no response other then the card reader light.

Hardware (All from Newegg except for second PSU):

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter
ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
Logitech diNovo Mini Black USB Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC13B-E ATX Media Center Case
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
SAMSUNG 26" 16:9 8ms 720p LCD
SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W (FIRST PSU)
Dynex 400W (SECOND PSU)

Am I missing something, or is a component the issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
June 11, 2009 12:52:15 AM

What do you mean "CPU Connector"?
Remove everything but the MB, one stck of memory, the CPU and heatsink. Place on a piece of cardboard, not the MB bag as it conducts electricity. Turn it on with paperclip or screw driver across the 2 power switch pins. Report what happens.
June 11, 2009 1:29:41 AM

cmichael138 said:
What do you mean "CPU Connector"?
Remove everything but the MB, one stck of memory, the CPU and heatsink. Place on a piece of cardboard, not the MB bag as it conducts electricity. Turn it on with paperclip or screw driver across the 2 power switch pins. Report what happens.

cmichael138, thanks for the reply. I have it set up as you suggest (MB on cardboard w/one stick of memory, cpu and heatsink/fan), but as for the power switch...I assume you mean the pins that the front panel attached to.

If so, then there is no response from the motherboard.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 1:40:01 AM

With two power supplies not passing the paperclip test, I gotta ask . . . you *did* turn the psu switch to "ON", correct?

cmichael is saying you need to turn the PC on, but since its out of the case you have no power on switch.

Find the two pins that you originally connected the power switch to, and touch both at the same time with a screwdriver or other metal object. That does the same thing your power switch would have done.
June 11, 2009 1:53:31 AM

Twoboxer said:
With two power supplies not passing the paperclip test, I gotta ask . . . you *did* turn the psu switch to "ON", correct?

cmichael is saying you need to turn the PC on, but since its out of the case you have no power on switch.

Find the two pins that you originally connected the power switch to, and touch both at the same time with a screwdriver or other metal object. That does the same thing your power switch would have done.

Ok, just tried the setup with PSU connected to motherboard at main power connector and the power connector near the cpu (the 2x2 12v) and touched the power switch pins with a screwdriver. The cpu fan went on, as did the motherboard's power indicator light. No post beeps, though. Is that strange?

Assuming that I should add components while the set up is out of the case and on cardboard to see if any cause problems.

Maybe was a short somewhere and the cardboard stopped.....

Any other suggestions or comments.

And thanks.
June 11, 2009 2:02:05 AM

Connect your monitor to the video card and see if you get anything.
June 11, 2009 2:21:24 AM

The monitor is working, as is the harddrive. Thanks for your help. Any advice as I reassemble in case?

Also, still no post beeps. Any ideas about that. I have the black wire going to the (-) pin, red wire to the (+) pin. Tried the reverse as well...
June 11, 2009 3:43:23 AM

Add the second memory stick and see if the BIOS shows the full 2 GB. After that, just make sure that the standoffs in the case keep the MB from shorting. I couldn't find a good picture of the MB to see where the front panel wires connect, but the manual should walk you through connecting them.

I have never used a Gigabyte MB, so I can't explain the post beep issue.
Congrats! Enjoy.
June 11, 2009 4:05:42 AM

I've read the manual, looked at the mobo - doesn't seem there is a speaker, nor a place to connect one. So no beeps.
June 11, 2009 1:46:29 PM

There is a speaker connection. It is probably not hooked up correctly, or the speaker he is using does not work, but there is a connection for it. I have a case speaker on my DS2H and works fine.
!