Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I have a system already setup, the specs are as follows:

ECS G33T-M2 Mobo
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Intel E2140 CPU 1.6ghz OC'd to 2.0ghz
WD 500g SATA HD

I went ahead and bought a few upgrades that include:

EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

My question is, if I swap mobos/CPUs would it still boot to my original OS or would I have to start new?

Any help/answers/comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dylan Bell

I recently had a total success swapping OUT an EVGA 680i for a Gigabyte P45 under Vista. No prep, just swapped and booted. Vista did what it needed to do.

I'm told XP is less intelligent when it comes to this kind of thing. You can Google-up a couple of guides on how best to do it. The prep is extensive and points out the risks.

Even if you have short term success . . . there may be conflicts below the surface.

Bottom line - it ain't exactly recommended.

dvast8

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Cool, thank you so much for the replies. I should of stated which OS I was using, doh. It's XP Home and it sounds like a hassle to save my current setup. Guess i'll just back up and start new. Just a pain to get all the little things setup again in a fresh OS. Anyways, thanks again.

XP is easy to save . Much easier than a re-install
Vista you cant do this since MS decided people swapping hard drives to new machines were probably pirates .

but for xp follow these instructions

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

after that XP wont update till you have done this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

after that its all done , and you have saved hours of work reinstalling all your games and other software

Fair enough .

I was trying to help the OP with his XP installation , not dispute your experience with Vista . I think its great your upgrade was so smooth

Did you have to reactivate Vista ?

Is it an oem or retail copy you bought ?

or was it preinstalled by your computer manufacturer ?

When Vista was first released there was quite a variation in licenses and how you could use it .

I was very lucky, and/or Vista was very good about the chipset change from nVidia to Intel.

Vista was an OEM copy I bought for the system I built. I was debugging an intermittent seemingly disk-oriented problem on my PC, and . . .

Step 1: replaced a 4 year old Raptor C-drive. Cloned the drive, swapped the new one in, and was asked to re-authorize Vista. Did it by phone with a live MS agent. Was asked "Is this the only PC this OS is running on?" Answered yes (the truth), and got new code immediately. MS Agent also said I could use automated system when I told him what my next step was likely to be.

Step 2: Replaced the mobo, now sure it was the disk controller or SATA connector. EVGA out, Gigabyte in. Was asked to re-authorize. Did it successfully by automated system.

I honestly don't think they care as long as you aren't running multiple copies, or are a PC reviewer and swap like every day. If you have clean hands, and the request *should* be honored, my bet is they will.

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
As discussed in posts above, it is possible. But I would have thought it best to look at this as an opertunity to do a nice fresh install and get things tidy!

dvast8

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Well I guess I got extremely lucky with the switch. It booted right back into my original XP OS but had to revalidate is all. Anyways, I got annoyed with uninstalling old drivers and installing new ones so I ended up just backing up everything and installing a fresh version of XP Pro.

Now I'm trying to figure out what normal idle/load temps are for an OC'd e8400 to 3.6ghz. I seem to be idling at 52-54 and 55-60 on load. This is with an aftermarket CPU cooler. I thought it would be lower with aftermarket cooling, maybe I've done something wrong. Anyways, maybe a new thread for cooling issues, thanks again for the replies and support guys.

Idle is on the high side of OK.

Load is fine if that's 100% load after an hour lol. But since the diff between idle and load is only 5 degrees or so, I would doubt it.

What case are you using? What cooler?

dvast8

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Using a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler & a Thermaltake Shark Case. On "load" I mean after 8+ hours of running Warhammer with music playing and the occasional alt tabbing to pull up the browser.

Maybe HWMonitor is reporting the wrong temps?

*EDIT* Turns out I may have gotten a little sloppy with my thermal paste when I seated my new CPU. I'm going to clean my heatsink/CPU today and reapply some AS5 in a professional manner. Will report back with lower CPU Temps hopefully.

*UPDATE* Hmm, cleaned all the old mess up with 91% Isopropyl & Q-Tips, reapplied a smidgen of AS5 and spread it evenly. Idle at 50 now ><. I'm thinking of trying the stock cooler to see if it does any better, maybe this Xigmatek doesn't like how it fits on my mobo or something.

*UPDATE #2* Well I guess I'm a big idiot and forgot to change my voltages in BIOS from the Auto setting, I set my CPU Vcore down from 1.3xxx to 1.175 and now it idles at 40-41. I don't know if I can get it any lower haha.

IIRC, HWMonitor has a min/max. Check your temps there; temps can cool down pretty quick once WAR is minimized or exited.

Otherwise, things are sounding better - assuming your setup is still stable lol.