Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 and HD 5870 compatiable with each other?

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2009 9:46:50 AM

Heya

This is abit of a noob question but i was wondering. Will there be any compatiability issues when using Intel's Core i5 CPU and using ATI/AMD Radeon H75870. Someone told me since they're sort of "competitors", that might be some compatiability issues.

Anyone got any idea?

More about : core 5870 compatiable

September 13, 2009 9:56:10 AM

no they should be fine, i mean think about it, if there was amd would be shooting themselves in the foot cause there cards would only work on about half of the computers out there. dont forget ati was a stand alone company b4 amd brought them.
i never have a problem with mix and matching
September 13, 2009 10:08:01 AM

Only possible problem could be the 8x pci lanes, they may get flooded
Related resources
September 13, 2009 10:26:51 AM

No there is no compatibilty issues one is a cpu the other is a gpu two different things,they work fine together because they do different things,the only new thing is that the memory controller is now imbedded in the chip itself but that is not a gpu issue but rather a cpu improvement
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2009 1:19:52 PM

^ Depends on the mobo of course. As an Intel engineer in another thread mentioned, some mobos will come with their own PCIe controller in addition to the CPU's controller, in which case you can do three or four GPU setups. IIRC the i5 review on Anands used such a board.
September 14, 2009 12:04:19 AM

I'm most likely going to use a Asus P7P55D motherboard. I'm not really a tech wizz so I don't know anythign about 8x pci lanes. In only know that this mobo has at least 2 PCIex16 slots. Does that mean i shouldnt have any problems with the HD 5870? Not planning to crossfire but want to keep that option open
September 14, 2009 12:55:12 AM

This is actually the road I'm planning to take. Instead of running crossfire, I'll just hold off a bit and get 5870 to get the same results from a single card, avoiding flooding the PCI-e lines.

My question is: with this setup, would it be worthwhile to get the i7 860 over i5 750? How much difference would it make? (I will be overclocking to about 3.4GHz range, to keep it stable but with a good bit of more pep in their step)
September 14, 2009 1:49:33 AM

gaming wise, the i5 750, i7 860 and i7 920 all perform exactly with 2-3 fps difference for each on different games. When it comes down to more cpu intesive tasks the i7 860 or i7 920 should be your best, bet. To be honest if all your doing is gaming and internet surfing and typical computer stuff AND will only use one graphic card i5 750 is definatley the way to go.

If you're looking for guaranteed ungradability in the feature and basically want to the same performance, go for a phenom 2 955, it performs exactly the same as the above CPUs for games, and you are garunteed to be able to buy phenom2 x6 in 2010, though currently the best bang for your buck definatley goes to the i5 750, I just ordered mine today after long debating over getting it or the 955 for the same price.
September 14, 2009 1:02:44 PM

Quote:
Theres 5 versions of that motherboard. If the 2 16x pci-e slots are 8x/8x with 2 cards then yes it will hurt your performance with 2 5870's.

I agree.

If you're only going to use one card I doubt you'll see a bottleneck with 16x PCIe. However, with two cards you will see a bottleneck.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 1:29:33 PM

since there are no benchmarks on the 5870, know one knows if 8x will bottleneck, all these comments are pure speculation.

Wait until the card is released and I am sure there will be plenty of benchmarks.
September 14, 2009 1:54:32 PM

BadTrip said:
since there are no benchmarks on the 5870, know one knows if 8x will bottleneck, all these comments are pure speculation.

Wait until the card is released and I am sure there will be plenty of benchmarks.

True dat, but it's 16x, and I highly doubt it would bottleneck with 16x, and I can say with good certainty that it would probably bottleneck with two cards.

But you're right, it is speculation based off of other cards.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 1:57:48 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
^ Depends on the mobo of course. As an Intel engineer in another thread mentioned, some mobos will come with their own PCIe controller in addition to the CPU's controller, in which case you can do three or four GPU setups. IIRC the i5 review on Anands used such a board.

Yeh, you mean like the nfarce 200?
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 2:30:03 PM

leaked amd powerpoint slides mean absolutely nothing
September 14, 2009 2:37:58 PM

Especially since these arent the fastest cards coming out, like the x2 or the G300
September 14, 2009 2:43:54 PM

I know its a ATI promo etc, but just add 60% to those numbers shown, and thats where were truly at for highend gfx
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 3:16:16 PM

That's a bit unreal looking.
September 14, 2009 3:26:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah but I at least based my speculation from some technical facts

Quote:
The HD 5870 die size is slightly over 330 MM2 and packed with over 2 billion transistors. This translates into one beast of a card with just over 150 GB/second bandwidth. It is very likely that the 8X + 8X PCIe CrossFire slots of the new p55 motherboards for Core i5 will become saturated with two of them.

I actually agree with them. I remember a review from a while back that shows a single PCI-E 2.0 x8 bottlenecking the 4870. Therefore I have no doubt it will bottleneck 5870 as well.

That's why Core i7 is still the choice if you want to go for multi-GPU setup.
a b à CPUs
September 14, 2009 4:47:30 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I know its a ATI promo etc, but just add 60% to those numbers shown, and thats where were truly at for highend gfx

Wowsers, that is impressive! How much power does that thing draw??

Anyway, I've decided to build an i-860 setup with either this or the nVidia card depending on the reviews..
September 14, 2009 6:32:17 PM

Rumors are running 190TDP, around last gens 4890, but idles are actually about half of what they were last gen, around 30 watts idle/2D.
Theyve reworked their MC and their schedular, and may have done a duo core of some type, just thru arch and communication, but this isnt official at all, tho the power numbers are pretty close, as well as the schedular and possibly the MC
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2009 12:24:12 PM

Well, the problem with AM3 + 790FX is that the processor is the limiting factor in a high-end CF setup if you continue down the lane of dual graphics after HD5870. Yes, the bandwdth of PCI-e x8 (2.0) might be a limiting factor for two HD5870 in CF. Even though there was only a 2% loss of FPS in this test between x16 and x8:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Expr...
We do get a little overhead with Crossfire and all, but I doubt that we'll se somthing remotely like a decrease of the bandwidth to x4 and att x4 there was only ä 5% loss in FPS.

Now, if we compare this to the loss of FPS between i7 860 and Phenom II 965, we get a substantially higher loss of FPS than 5%. My point is that the limited bandwidth of x8 doesn't make that big a difference. (and that the AMD will have a hard time upping the frequencies on their processors above 3,8GHz at least with current steppings)
!