Asus or Gigabyte MB for new i7 build?

darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hi all. This is my first post so go easy. I built my current system several years ago; a C2D E6600 system built around an Asus P5B-E MB. At that time the positive reviews were something like 80+%, so I felt pretty confident that the P5B-E would be a good choice. The system has worked flawlessly.

I now find myself doing quite a bit of HD editing of AVCHD content using AE and PPro CS4 and am looking to put together a new i7 system. Based on my past positive experience with Asus, I would normally just go for the P6T, but I'm seeing a lot of recent reviews at Newegg, etc. that point to lots of DOA Asus boards. Has Asus quality control slipped or are these just a vocal minority? I REALLY hate RMA'ing stuff. Are the Gigbyte boards any better quality wise? Come to think of it, I'm not seeing overwhelming positive reviews of any X58 boards. (Did I mention I really hate RMA'ing new parts that are DOA?) OK, enough said.

Also, in my brief look at the Gigabyte X58 MBs, I don't see any reference to an e-SATA port. I do my backups using an external drive via e-SATA. Thanks for any insights and help you can offer.

darsmith

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I'm not seeing any e-SATA port on the back of the motherboard, it probably has an internal one that can attach to a case or something. I personally like the Gigabyte board, but hear that the Asus is a great overclocker. I can't verify if its true since I don't have a i7. :lol:

darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Just went over to Newegg to read more reviews and 2 of the first 3 listed reviews of the P6T V2 say their first delivered boards were DOA. Just disappointed in a perceived lack of QC at Asus or lack of comprehensive board testing at the factory or CM or whoever does their builds.

sundm001

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I would like to recommend the motherboard I own. It is the Gigabyte X58-UD5. Hasn't given me any problems.

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi ,

I got a p6t v2 deluxe and no problem at all. Without touching any voltage setting I go 3.6-3.7 mgz in oc. I think It's a pretty good piece of harware.

For the RMA problem it's always the same, the more you sold motherboard, more you have chance to get bad mobo. It's not just quality control problem but also shipping risk and pure methematic.

Anyway I will recommend the asus any time.

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Yea it is all up to you. I would say both are quality board brands and you can't go wrong with either.

If I was building an i7 rig I would have to get the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 for the spacious layout for CF or SLI. That is my personal preference though and again you can't go wrong with either.

darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks for the great replies. It's down to the P6T V2 or Gigabyte UD4P. I did find a post about e-SATA, so it is available. Since I will only be using this for video editing using mainly CS4 apps, I only plan on installing one GTX 260 video card. Would the P6T SE work since I don't plan on dual video cards (SLI?)?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

UD4P. I have it. i love it. I had issues with asus boards before, but never have an issue with gigabyte boards at all.

darsmith

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks. My perception, after reading the customer reviews on the Newegg site, is that Asus quality has gone downhill. The complaints about the Gigabyte boards are mostly about rebate issues, not board quality or performance. I have some limited OC experience with my current Asus board. Is it fairly easy to OC the UD4P? I was thinking a conservative 3.2 GHz boost would give me the extra performance without stressing the CPU too much. Of course, a good aftermarket HSF is a must.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
when I was building (2 weeks ago) the UD4P couldn't be beat price wise. things may have changed, but it's a solid board.

I found it VERY easy to OC on this board. It comes with a 'quick tune' feature (that I didn't use) for light OC's that you can launch from Windows but inside the BIOS it's quite simple. Just read any number of i7 OC guide's and you will be fine. I didn't push mine too far, I went with a conservative 167mHz - BCLK to hit 3.33gHz. But I've heard of people running 190-200 BCLK's on these boards with proper cooling.