DirecTV to offer Media Center

This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
going to be something based on Windows?

Any ideas?

Dave
17 answers Last reply
More about directv offer media center

    * g666bush wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    > Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    > going to be something based on Windows?

    > Any ideas?

    What do you mean 'based' on windows? You didnt expect a Linux app did
    you? They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    only a very small % of DTV users run it. So to answer your question, Yes
    it will almost definately be a Windows based app, but ther is always
    WINE :)
    --
    David
    broad-mindedness, n:

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:40:06 -0600, SINNER wrote:

    > * g666bush wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >> Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >> going to be something based on Windows?
    >
    >> Any ideas?
    >
    > What do you mean 'based' on windows? You didnt expect a Linux app did
    > you? They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    > superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    > only a very small % of DTV users run it. So to answer your question, Yes
    > it will almost definately be a Windows based app, but ther is always
    > WINE :)

    David, I think you missed the point.

    Whatzit up there seems to have been worried that the Media Center
    app would be based on "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition".

    Why an application would be based an OS, I don't really know, but I
    believe the question was not whether the app would _run_ on Windows. (He
    did say "based on Windows", not "Windows compatible"...)

    --
    Lenroc

    > They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    > superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    > only a very small % of DTV users run it.

    I'm not disagreeing with your statement here, I tend to be very OS
    agnostic and use multiple OS's to their own strenths and weaknesses, but
    if you're going to warn people to "save their flames", then I would
    suggest not laying out flame-bait.

    There's no reason that sentence couldn't have just been "While Linux
    would be an excellent platform choice for such an application, only a
    very small % of DTV users run it" and avoided the whole issue if you
    were truly concerned about avoiding flames.

    Randy S.

    Look here: http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/87

    In article <e1UNd.2019$lz5.8@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>,
    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:

    > "g666bush" <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    > > Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    > > going to be something based on Windows?
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Look here: http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/87

    and according to this one:

    http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/89

    Motorola has bought Ucentric; is TiVo next? cheap enough at it's current
    stock price.

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> shaped the electrons to say:
    >* g666bush wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >> This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >> Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >> going to be something based on Windows?
    >What do you mean 'based' on windows? You didnt expect a Linux app did
    >you? They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    >superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    >only a very small % of DTV users run it. So to answer your question, Yes
    >it will almost definately be a Windows based app, but ther is always
    >WINE :)

    I don't know what you're on about here - but the DTV 'Media Center'
    has nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows. It uses software from
    UCentric - basically it looks like the stuff Voom demo'd last year
    found a new home at DTV now that Voom is going away.

    -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
    <URL:http://www.megazone.org/> <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/> Eris

    * MegaZone wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> shaped the electrons to say:
    >>* g666bush wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>> This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >>> Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >>> going to be something based on Windows?

    >>What do you mean 'based' on windows? You didnt expect a Linux app did
    >>you? They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    >>superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    >>only a very small % of DTV users run it. So to answer your question, Yes
    >>it will almost definately be a Windows based app, but ther is always
    >>WINE :)

    > I don't know what you're on about here -

    I am not 'on' about anything.
    --
    David
    That movie gets better every time I see it.

    * Lenroc wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:40:06 -0600, SINNER wrote:

    >> * g666bush wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >>> This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >>> Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >>> going to be something based on Windows?

    >>> Any ideas?

    >> What do you mean 'based' on windows? You didnt expect a Linux app did
    >> you? They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    >> superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would bet
    >> only a very small % of DTV users run it. So to answer your question, Yes
    >> it will almost definately be a Windows based app, but ther is always
    >> WINE :)

    > David, I think you missed the point.

    I absolutely did, no mistaking that.

    > Whatzit up there seems to have been worried that the Media Center
    > app would be based on "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition".

    > Why an application would be based an OS, I don't really know, but I
    > believe the question was not whether the app would _run_ on Windows. (He
    > did say "based on Windows", not "Windows compatible"...)

    I gathered this from MZ's post, thanks though :)

    --
    David
    Defeat is worse than death because you have to live with defeat.

    * Randy S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    >> They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    >> superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would
    >> bet only a very small % of DTV users run it.
    >
    > I'm not disagreeing with your statement here, I tend to be very OS
    > agnostic and use multiple OS's to their own strenths and
    > weaknesses, but if you're going to warn people to "save their
    > flames", then I would suggest not laying out flame-bait.
    >
    > There's no reason that sentence couldn't have just been "While
    > Linux would be an excellent platform choice for such an
    > application, only a very small % of DTV users run it" and avoided
    > the whole issue if you were truly concerned about avoiding flames.

    Any Pro Tivo post in this group is Flame bait lately. If I bowed to
    pressure like that and kept my opinions to myself then they may as well
    shutdown Usenet.
    --
    David

    SINNER wrote:
    > * Randy S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    >

    >>>They are going to want penetration and while Linux is certainly a
    >>>superiosr OS (save your flames for another group/thread) I would
    >>>bet only a very small % of DTV users run it.
    >>
    >>I'm not disagreeing with your statement here, I tend to be very OS
    >>agnostic and use multiple OS's to their own strenths and
    >>weaknesses, but if you're going to warn people to "save their
    >>flames", then I would suggest not laying out flame-bait.
    >>
    >>There's no reason that sentence couldn't have just been "While
    >>Linux would be an excellent platform choice for such an
    >>application, only a very small % of DTV users run it" and avoided
    >>the whole issue if you were truly concerned about avoiding flames.
    >>

    > Any Pro Tivo post in this group is Flame bait lately. If I bowed to
    > pressure like that and kept my opinions to myself then they may as well
    > shutdown Usenet.

    Well, I can see your point there ;-). However it's always good to at
    least *try* to lead by example. But my main point was not that it was
    flame-bait, but that it's disingenuous to lay out flame bait and then
    tell others not to respond to it. If you put it out there, you ought to
    be willing to accept the consequences ;-).

    Randy S.

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:21:52 GMT, gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net
    (g666bush) wrote:

    >This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >going to be something based on Windows?
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Dave

    I saw this demoed at CES and it was SWEET. The demo they had played
    practicailly everything according to the presentation they had.

    Dave also had the biggest booth in the place it seemed. No telling
    how much they spent on that alone!

    * Randy S. wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * Randy S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

    [...]

    >>>weaknesses, but if you're going to warn people to "save their
    >>>flames", then I would suggest not laying out flame-bait.

    >>>There's no reason that sentence couldn't have just been "While
    >>>Linux would be an excellent platform choice for such an
    >>>application, only a very small % of DTV users run it" and avoided
    >>>the whole issue if you were truly concerned about avoiding flames.

    >> Any Pro Tivo post in this group is Flame bait lately. If I bowed to
    >> pressure like that and kept my opinions to myself then they may as well
    >> shutdown Usenet.

    > Well, I can see your point there ;-). However it's always good to at
    > least *try* to lead by example. But my main point was not that it was
    > flame-bait, but that it's disingenuous to lay out flame bait and then
    > tell others not to respond to it. If you put it out there, you ought to
    > be willing to accept the consequences ;-).

    Oh, I am MORE than willing ];)

    --
    David
    HELLO KITTY gang terrorizes town, family STICKERED to death!

    "MrPaul" <pwthoma@philzy.com> wrote in message news:jp3j01ttn9td94ju63kc8nl91erq28ugvu@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:21:52 GMT, gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net
    > (g666bush) wrote:
    >
    > >This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    > >Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    > >going to be something based on Windows?
    > >
    > >Any ideas?
    > >
    > >Dave
    >
    > I saw this demoed at CES and it was SWEET. The demo they had played
    > practicailly everything according to the presentation they had.
    >
    > Dave also had the biggest booth in the place it seemed. No telling
    > how much they spent on that alone!

    Dave? Who is Dave?

    If you're referring to the OP, wouldn't he already know about the
    Ucentric Home Media Center?

    "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> shaped the electrons to say:
    >If you're referring to the OP, wouldn't he already know about the
    >Ucentric Home Media Center?

    Probably not http://www.dave.tv/

    While they were at the show, they had a very small booth - at least
    the one I saw. :-)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:29:12 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <e1UNd.2019$lz5.8@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net>,
    > "Jack Ak" <akjack@excite.com> wrote:
    >

    >> "g666bush" <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> > This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >> > Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >> > going to be something based on Windows?
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> >

    >> Look here: http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/87
    >
    >and according to this one:
    >
    >http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/89
    >
    >Motorola has bought Ucentric; is TiVo next? cheap enough at it's current
    >stock price.

    Why would anyone want Tivo?

    Sean

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:20:16 -0600, MrPaul <pwthoma@philzy.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:21:52 GMT, gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net
    >(g666bush) wrote:
    >
    >>This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >>Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >>going to be something based on Windows?
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Dave
    >
    >I saw this demoed at CES and it was SWEET. The demo they had played
    >practicailly everything according to the presentation they had.
    >
    >Dave also had the biggest booth in the place it seemed. No telling
    >how much they spent on that alone!

    Yes. Yes. Farewell Tivo. the marketplace is leaving you behind.

    Oh wait... did that media center have Wishlists??!!??!!

    Sean

    Jack Ak wrote:
    > "g666bush" <gw666bush/removethis@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:420805d5.2949281@news.west.earthlink.net...
    >
    >>This issue of "Television Week" magazine sez DTV will offer a "Media
    >>Center" later this year. Is that a freak chance of a name or is it
    >>going to be something based on Windows?
    >
    > Look here: http://www.ucentric.com/index.php?news/releases/87

    Another press release at that site mentions uCentric using the
    "Broadcom BCM97038 media center reference design". I did not find
    any technical description of that; it could be a custom integrated
    circuit for processing video, or an application note describing
    how to build an entire system using such a device.
    -Joe

    http://www.vtechlink.com/IS_Addl_News0501.htm

    Ucentric Supports Broadcom Whole-House Media Center Reference Design

    Ucentric Systems and Broadcom Corporation are joining forces to provide
    whole-home media center solutions for consumer electronics
    manufacturers. Ucentric has successfully ported their Digital Home
    Software Suite to the Broadcom BCM97038 media center reference design.
    The software not only extends DVR [digital video recorder] functionality
    through the home, but also enables the sharing of personal media such as
    music and photos to multiple display devices throughout the home.

    The Broadcom BCM97038 reference design sets a new standard for media
    center system integration and performance. For the first time consumer
    electronics manufacturers will be able to deliver media center products
    with dual audio and video channels, triple-channel, high definition DVR
    features, secure in-home networking, as well as support for cable card
    tuners, satellite tuners, and ATSC broadcast video.

    In addition, the BCM97395 offers new advanced capabilities not yet
    available in HDTV systems, such as support for integrated DVD-RW
    navigation and burn capability.

    To facilitate robust and compelling application solutions such as
    Ucentric's, Broadcom integrates a high performance 64-bit CPU combined
    with graphics acceleration, which takes the home media center to the
    next level in performance.

    Ucentric's Whole-Home DVR application creates a single recording
    library, shared among multiple television sets that allows users to
    independently record, pause, play, rewind and fast forward live or
    recorded programming from any TV in the network. Additional applications
    available from Ucentric include Whole-Home Music and Whole-Home Photo
    applications that allow users to access, share, and transfer their
    complete digital music and photo collections to any connected device in
    the home.

    Ucentric is a leading provider of networked media server software and
    applications for the new digital home. Its patented technology enables
    the secure, high quality digital distribution of HD and SD video signals
    from broadcast, satellite or cable sources to all connected rooms in the
    home. The Ucentric solution is uniquely capable of unifying networked
    television, including whole-home DVR with networked personal media
    [music, photos, home movies] and networked communications [broadband
    Internet access and telephony] -- all on a standards-based, cost
    efficient, interoperable IP networking platform that can easily scale to
    support any array of applications.

    Ucentric is committed to supporting industry standards and is a member
    of the Digital Living Network Alliance [DLNA] and the Universal Plug and
    Play [UPnP] Forum and actively supports CableLab's Open Cable
    initiative. Based in Maynard, Massachusetts, Ucentric is backed by
    Polaris Venture Partners.

Tivo Media Center Video Home Theatre