Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the dangers of overclocking and good temps to have

Last response: in Overclocking
May 18, 2011 9:37:37 PM

Im wondering if temperature is the only danger to overclocking and what temps are good to have under full load. In my case my max temp of my phenom ii x4 830 is 70 celcius. also i was wondering because i dont have to good of a cooler if it is safe to perform an overclock that may exceed my maximum temp with programs like prime 95 or intel burn but not exceed it with regular use like gaming, authoring a dvd or converting video. Ive noticed the with prime95 and intel burn it uses 100% of my cpu but for gaming and dvd authoring is about 30% with spikes in the 80% (civ 5) and 80% consistantly for dvd authoring with way lower temps for the latter applications. thank you.

system.
ecs a740gm-m
phenom ii x4 830
4gb ram
msi 9600gt
after market stockish cooler
500w psu unknown brand

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2011 11:01:39 PM

In general, high temps are the biggest concern when doing an OC, or just building a system w/o OC, but there are other concerns to be aware of. When you do an OC, you're basically giving the mobo's BIOS the middle finger and saying "F*** You! I know what's best for my system" by altering the default values.

Don't be alarmed though, manually configuring the BIOS is what an OC is all about, but because you're specifying the values to run the hardware at, these values will remain constant. For example, voltage. With the increase in voltage, naturally the hardware's temps will increase, but for hardware like RAM, the temperature isn't monitored and thus is unknown.

Increasing voltages is required for hard core OCs to regain stability. That said, increasing the RAM voltage too high can cause it to heat up too much. But you won't know this until it is too late and the RAM is no good. This is why you should understand the physical limitations of your parts before starting your OC.

If you are considering doing an OC, I recommend you find out what kind of PSU you have, or get a known brand with reliable quality and is at least 80+ bronze certified. You may even want to consider using Newegg's PSU calculator tool. Same goes for your RAM. Using low-quality (value) RAM can be detrimental to the computer simply because it isn't capable of being pushed to the limits that the OC requires. Also, even though you have an aftermarket cooler, your description of it suggests it's like-quality of a stock heatsink unit - not good for doing an OC.
May 18, 2011 11:24:34 PM

Thank you for the reply. My psu is a Golden Field ATX-S628 500W. I've used a psu calculator and calculated that I'm using 425w roughly. The one problem I'm have while ocing is that when i increase the fsb (i can't see an option in my bios for increasing the vcore) occassionally and especially at higher frequencies when i save&exit the bios my pc will not boot; i get no video and no post. Also I was wondering since i cant increase my vcore, what speed should i oc my cpu in your opinion? thank you.

system
ecs a740gm-m
phenom ii x4 830 2.8ghz deneb
transcend 4gb ram
9600gt
after market stock-like cooler
500w golden field atx-s628 psu
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 11:31:45 PM

btw. i have had my cpu oced to as high as 3.6ghz (i didnt start windows at that speed). i ran at 3.35ghz for a few days or so. at 3.4ghz my pc shut down while running prime95 because the cpu temp went over 70 celcius which is the shutdown temp i set in the bios.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2011 11:38:56 PM

If you truly can't find anything in your BIOS to adjust vcore, I'd stop trying to go higher. A stable OC can run P95 for an hour on blend mode. When you OC to 3.6, which isn't very modest, by the way, how long can you run P95? How about at 3.4?

At 3.6GHz, that's what, ~257 MHz on your FSB? If consistently unstable at that FSB, why not drop the FSB back down by one, and then see if you boot.

Also, you should see if you can lower the multiplier of your NB; try to keep it as close to the stock frequency as possible.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2011 11:40:12 PM

Disregard my first question, you updated as I was replying.
m
l
May 18, 2011 11:54:17 PM

I will try to stay low, but even at like 220 im having the boot problem. ive had it at 3.35ghz for a few days like i said but i want to be able to restart my pc or shut down a reboot without having to remove the cmos battery. also i dont remember if when ive had it overclocked if i just did a normal reboot and it was successful. i notice the unsuccessful boots when im changing my oc whether hi or low. i think ive run prime95 for about an hour at 3.1-3.35ghz. at 3.4 it took about 5min to reach the shutdown temp. I've noticed i can run intel burn for much longer. thank you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 12:17:28 AM

There is more to the OC world than just the FSB and the CPU multiplier. As you know, there is vcore, but there are other factors, including, but not limited to:

1. RAM - quality and specs
2. PSU - quality and specs
3. NB - you want the North Bridge to run as close to it's stock speed as possible
4. DRAM settings - by this I mean the settings in your BIOS: frequency, timing, voltage and command rate, do they all match your RAM's specs? Are you running in ganged or unganged mode?
5. Power saving features disabled - mainly this pertains to AMD's Cool 'n Quiet, but if there are other power saving features, turn them off.
6. CPU cooler - if you cooler looks like the stock unit (same size, shape, etc), consider getting a better one. Check out www.frozencpu.com or www.newegg.com for CPU coolers. I have a Titan Fenrir X-mas Edition, but the popular one among the people of this forum is CM Hyper 212+. Compare these to yours.
7. Cooling - as mentioned above, a good quality CPU cooler is imperative to a good OC, but so are the other cooling methods and devices in your system. Ensure your system isn't near a heat source so hot air isn't drawn in. Get a better CPU cooler and reinstall your side panel(s)
8. Case - some cases are designed to promote positive air pressure; some for negative air pressure. Removing the side panel(s) disrupt this effect.

All in all, it does seem that your mobo is what is keeping you from a higher and stable OC, but don't blame the mobo until you've explored all other potential faults, too.
m
l
May 19, 2011 2:51:38 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I think I may have forgotten to disable cool and quiet in my bios so I'm going to do that and see if it will boot for me at around 3.35ghz because i had ok temps with that speed and just leave it. If im still getting boot problems, ill leave it at stock speed (no oc) and wait until im ready to spend a bit of money on the venture. thanks again.
m
l
May 19, 2011 2:53:41 AM

Best answer selected by kenbb1983.
m
l
a c 224 K Overclocking
May 19, 2011 2:36:18 PM

kenbb1983 said:
Im wondering if temperature is the only danger to overclocking

Voltage is the greatest danger of all, too much can destroy your system before heat even enters the picture!

m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 4:15:21 AM

+++1^...Indeed it is!!!!
m
l
!