tanyawongz

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I don't play all that many games, but then I do like to multi-task.

Antec 900 case

Core i7 920 2.66ghz

OCZ Gold 3 x 2gb DDR3 1600

Asus P6T SE Motherboard

Cosair 650 Watts

WD Black 750gb HDD

SAPPHIRE HD 4850 1GB

XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU Cooler

I just want to know, what are the cons with this motherboard? Should I choose the Gigabyte one instead? Also is 650 watts enough to power this system?

Many Thanks,
Tanya S. Wong

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

I have a few suggestions that could help you meet this budget and would perform better then what you have listed.

To start things off if you have a microcenter near you locally, they have a great deal on the i7 920 for $230. They might allow you to buy it online but I am not sure.

The PSU would be a solid choice and would definitely power everything no problem. Corsair is a very respected PSU brand and you do not want to skimp on a PSU or you might end up with a fried system if you invest in a no name one.

For the HDD I would switch it to a WD Caviar Black 640gb.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
It will definitely perform faster and it's the normally suggested hdd on here.

For the memory I would switch to these G.Skill's
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247
Better timings and a little bit cheaper. G.Skill is also one of the best!

For the motherboard I would switch to this Gigabyte x58 board:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-EX58U4P
$207 after rebate and it is a very solid board.

With those suggestions I believe you would have an extremely solid system. Hope that this helps!
Oh and don't forget to get some thermal paste for that nice cpu cooler!

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I agree with waynec121 about Microcenter. If you are lucky enough to have one locally, check their prices before buying online. My CPU, mobo, and RAM were all cheaper from there.

I think that motherboard should be fine, ASUS is a great company and their P6T boards are top-notch. The board you selected is cheaper than any of the other P6T's because it has NO support for SLI. (you selected an ATI card, so SLI doesn't even apply to you) It might support Crossfire, but don't take my word for it.

Assuming your choice of PSU is the Corsair 650TX, you should be aware that the 750TX is the same price after MIR. You will pay $10 more up front, but the 750 has a $20 MIR instead of the $10 MIR for the 650. Essentially you can get an extra 100W for free.

If you aren't planning to overclock your system from the get-go, there's no need to purchase that CPU cooler. Don't get me wrong, it's a great cooler, but the stock cooler that comes with your CPU will be more than sufficient unless you are overclocking, so that will save you $40 right there. Even if you DO want to overclock in the future, you can always buy the cooler or a better one when that time comes.

Finally, I'd recommend getting two HDD's instead of just one and set them up in RAID 0. I put a couple of THESE BAD BOYS in my system, and they're great.

Let me know what you think.

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Woops I misread the first post thinking it was the Asus P6T. Yes the P6T SE will be fine then for the same price as that Gigabyte.

Good suggestions by kufan64! The 750tx is a def a good suggestion for $10 more before the rebate. It would give you some headroom for the future as well if you ever decide to do crossfire or update your gpu to a more demanding one.

The two HDD's is mainly up to you depending on how much speed you need. However if you want to save some money I would still stick with the 640gb Caviar Black. And with Raid 0 you also run the risk of losing your data so you would need a backup HDD and thats even more money.

If you do not intend to overclock then I agree with kufan again, but if you are going with an i7 build then it would be pointless to not overclock. It is very simple and it will get you the most for your money!!!

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
@waynec121

I see your point about the two HDD's being more expensive, but data loss with RAID 0 doesn't worry me any more than data loss with a single drive. Granted you have 2 drives that can fail and destroy all data on both of them as opposed to just 1, but either way your going to lose all your data in the event a drive fails. I don't store anything important on my PC anyway. I store my family photos and other "irreplaceable" data on an external backup drive, or on flash drives.

I am also pro-overclocking the i7, but it can always be done later. I like to break in my processor a little before stressing it, plus it feels like getting a new computer again when you do finally overclock it.

tanyawongz

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I already bought the RAM because it was on sale on newegg.com, got them for 69.99 with MIR. Sadly, there is no Microcenter near me. I will not be puchasing the CPU cooler and I will get the 640GB HDD.

Thanks everyone!

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

LOL, jump on that for $179.99 thats a steal! And the RAM for $69.99 is also a great price so that is also a smart buy.

Yea thats fine with the cpu cooler and you can always add that on later! Hope I was helpful and good luck with the rest of the build!

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Good points, I do not have much experience with RAID 0 but I always see advice for people that do want to do it to get a backup HDD. I definitely hear where your coming from and the RAID 0 is def a good suggestion but for a budget i7 rig it may not fit.

Also good point on breaking in the processor. I actually did break in my x3 720 before I overclocked it.
You have some solid advice and I hope you continue to help people on here with it! :D

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
@waynec121

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm at work right now and there's absolutely nothing going on. This seemed like a better, more entertaining use of my time than playing solitaire. lol

@tanyawongz
Good luck with the build; hope I was some help.

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009

Haha I am at work too and same goes for me. Solitaire can definitely get addicting especially when your extremely bored at work. :sleep:
Helping people on TH is definitely a good use of time when you have a few hours to do nothing haha. I love "work". haha

tanyawongz

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I just realized the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R is only $5 more, seeing as this board has better reviews......I'm not so sure anymore. What do you guys think?

waynec121

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
If both boards have all the features you want then save yourself $5 and get the Asus. Both brands are great and you really can't go wrong with either. My personal preference would be the Asus.

edit: Thats 2 votes for the ASUS haha.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
+1 for ASUS here too.
Honestly, they're probably identical boards and your decision will come down to whether you prefer ASUS or Gigabyte; or if you still don't care, which color scheme you prefer.